Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Z71 GAS - ETHANOL Question

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2009, 4:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Z71 GAS - ETHANOL Question

Hello All !

I'm a just brand news Z71 Owner (2003) and i have seen a sticker near the engine on wich is write that the engine accepte Gasoline or ethanol from E0 to E85 !!!! Is it true ? in the year 2003, Chevy Engines are already performed to run on ETHANOL ?

Can i put 100% of Ethanol in my Tank ? is it better to put half gasoline ans half ethanol ? is it "dangerous" for the engine ?

Thanks a lot for your responses !

Regards, Merry Christmas

Joe
Old December 21st, 2009, 7:33 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E85

E85 is the dumbest thing since... well, that I can think of.

No, you can not run 100% ethanol if the engine was only designed for 85%

Ethanol is eating the fuel lines and going to destroy my and many other people's boat engines... which is BS.

E85 is made from corn, corn that animals eat, so we can eat them! Tractors use diesel to plant it, cut it, grab it, haul it.

You get less out of it than you put in it.

I have a GREAT IDEA... let's take something that can be used as a FOOD and use it FUEL...

let's face it, oil really can't be eaten, it has no real use other than lube and to burn in engines... so let's burn it till it's gone!

E85 is for people more intrested in looking like they give a rat's *** about the enviroment than people who actually care or have ideas to help.

E85 will wear parts out faster, give you LESS HP per gallon, which also means LESS MPG. AND IF you get it cheaper than regular gas, it's because the US Gov't is subsidizing it!

Look it up... less MPG, using a food, more cost? where do I sign up?!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23057867/

Stupid feel good hippies trying to save the planet without looking at the big picture.

Similar to buying a new car because 'it gets better mpg'... it takes THOUSANDS of times more resources to build a new car than to keep your old one running (I have a HUGE problem w/cash for clunkers)... it's just so wrong on so many level and 99% of america is too stupid to see it...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; December 21st, 2009 at 7:36 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 4:38 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeALVES
Can i put 100% of Ethanol in my Tank ? is it better to put half gasoline ans half ethanol ? is it "dangerous" for the engine ?

Theorectically yes if your vehicle is truly listed as a FlexFuel vehicle. The reason for the 15% of gas is to make cold starts easier. As STSqrl said, it's bad for any system not designed to handle it as alcohol is an acid, albeit a mild one. It will ruin aluminum and rubber parts.