Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Suburban AWD whining noise

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2012, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Suburban AWD whining noise

I have a 2004 Suburban AWD with stabilitrak. There is a whining noise that increases or decreases with the engine rpm that sounds like it is comining from the rear of the dash on the driver's side. The noise starts when it gets colder outside (below 50) and when I make a sharp right turn, or when there is slick driving conditions and there is wheel slip between the front and rear tires until the AWD engages. the AWD appears to work fine, but the noise is getting louder and more frequent. Any ideas?
Old September 12th, 2012, 8:37 PM
Administrator

Received 162 Likes on 160 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Check the transfer case and tranny fluid levels.
Old September 13th, 2012, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the suggestion, but the transmission was just flushed and refilled and the transfer case levels are fine. Didn't affect the noise at all. the strange thing is that it makes the noise in drive or neutral. It seems like it is tied to some sensor that monitors wheel slip/engine rpm, but I don't know if something like that exists or what type of sensors make the stabilitrak system work.
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default Anyone know what the deal is?

I recently purchased a 2004 Suburban LT with AWD and the Stabilitrak. I noticed on the test drive that there what a whine, but the truck had 133k miles and was going for what I thought was a decent price so I didn't want to haggle too much about it. The motor runs great, the transmissions seems to shift perfect, really the only complaint I have is the whining noise between 25 and 60 mph. Over 60 the noise seems to die down a bit. If it was just noise I'd live with it, but I purchased this truck for the winter and winter's just around the corner, I want to make sure the transmission isn't going to lock up on me, the AWD system is going to go, or have something do wrong with my rear diff. If I was in Texas I'd have a bunch of friends who could help me out, but I've recently moved back to Michigan and don't have many contacts.

Does anyone have a solid judgement based on my description? I'd like to not hear "take it into the dealer/shop", might as well say goodbye to 3 grand, lol. Thanks for your help!