Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Suburban Heat/AC Issues

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2018, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2004 Suburban Heat/AC Issues

Hey Gang,

The wife has a 2004 Suburban we bought about 7 months ago. This thing has been nothing but problems since and I'm really at my wits end with it. Ready to sell it and get something else.

How it all started is we were coming home from Thanksgiving and the front windshield started to fog up. I noticed that when I put set the defrost setting, no air was coming out. After some researching I figured out that the HVAC actuators are prone to going out on these.

I found the one that controls these vents which is by the gas pedal. Replaced it, and no difference. A quick google search again reveals I need to calibrate the computer to the new actuator.

Here's where it gets a little fuzzy. I've done this relearn procedure and a another one probably a dozen times. The end result is usually one of two outcomes:

1. The heat works in the front and the rear, but no A/C. The A/C light will actually blink three times but that's it.

2. AC works, but no heat. The rear AC blows ice cold, even when on the heat setting.

Mind you before I started messing with all this, the heat and AC worked pretty normal for the most part.

Now when in Scenario 1 where the heat works but only getting the blinking light. Another google search revealed that the air temp sensor by the passenger side turn signal needs to be replaced. I replaced that, but nothing changed(even after a few re-calibrations).

Any ideas? I'm really at my wits end here with this damn car. Thanks for all the help!
Old December 10th, 2018, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
When the ambient temperature is below 35 degrees, the A/C compressor will not come on. It should come on when the Defrost is selected in order to dehumidify the air in the cabin.
Old December 10th, 2018, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.
When the ambient temperature is below 35 degrees, the A/C compressor will not come on. It should come on when the Defrost is selected in order to dehumidify the air in the cabin.
I've been sitting here researching and see a few places that say if it's below 35-38 degrees it won't come on. Currently about 28 degrees out, so that might explain that.

But it's not coming on during Defrost mode, just blows hot air. The other thing I forgot to mention, if I set the temp to 90 degrees, it blows hot air like it should. If I turn it to 60 degrees, it just blows hot air. It's like it's not opening up to allow outside cold air in?

Thanks for the reply/help by the way.
Old December 11th, 2018, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

The A/C won't come on below 35-38 even in Defrost mode. It sounds like your blend door is not working. That is what controls the air temp.