Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 suburban stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2017, 4:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 suburban stalling issue

Hello,
I am having a real bad time with my suburban and was hoping someone in here could provide some help / insight on the issue. I have had it to a mechanic several times with no luck and it is back at the mechanic now and after a day no luck in finding the problem. The issue the mechanic is having is the truck runs great for him and never stalls. So here goes on the problem .....

Recently and intermittently the truck will stall with no real warning. The most recent stall was when I was doing about 40mph and the truck bucked a little and then fully died. I coasted to a safe area and let it sit for 10 minutes and then it fired up and ran long enough so i could get it off the road to a parking lot and it died again. I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 58psi consistently and I messed with the coolant temperature sensor since the wiring looked off (taped up with electrical tape) I got the truck running enough to get 2 miles back to the campground where I was staying but then on the way home it died again. This time I had it towed since I could not keep it running long. While waiting for the tow truck I was able to start it and run it for 10 minutes here and there at idle before it stalled.

Here is what has recently been done .....
1. Light control switch
2. Oil changes
3. Plugs and wires
4. rear break lines
5. new bleeder screws for calipers
6. new down stream O2 sensor on passenger side
7. new cat on driver and full cat back exhaust
8. new fuel pump
9. frayed wires fixed under battery tray causing lights to pulsate and evap codes to be thrown
10. half *** job coupling the e-break wire together
11. Break controller installed using factory plug under dash
12. New battery
13. New mass airflow sensor

Here are some symptoms that I noted on the last stalling episode (current mechanic knows these symptoms)....
***Note .... No codes are being thrown for this issue. ****
1. Check engine light did not come on when ignition was cycled in the run position
2. A single engine buck prior to stalling
3. When pressing the break I can hear a loss in engine power at idle
4. When trying to start after a stall the engine sounds like it is misfiring
5. At one point when trying to start after a stall when I stopped cranking the engine it continued to try and start on its own before failing with pitiful engine noise and dash cluster flashing

Sorry for the long essay here but wanted to give as much info as possible to see if anyone has any ideas. I have read many forum posts on similar topics but they have been all over the map from mass airflow sensor issues, break controller module to the PCM.

thanks in advance for the help
​​​​​​​-Steve