Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe stalling after heating up

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2009, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe stalling after heating up

Hey guys,

I'm trying to sort through an issue with my 2000 Tahoe Limited, which is the old body style, and has a 5.7 L. 350. I came here hoping to find some insight to the problem, so please bare with me.

Here's the deal. 4 days ago out of the blue, the truck just shut off coming home. Coasted to a stop. Crank it over and it started up and ran home, stalling at every stop light. Got it home, and gave her a once over. No visible issues. Oil level and pressure fine, water fine, battery and voltage fine. Closed it up and went inside 'cause it was dark.

Next day come out to work on it. Start it up, had to crank about 4 times while I applied a little gas before it would start.(usually starts up and runs on first crank without applying any gas to it) Once running, ran fine, stopped at lights fine, idled fine, no hesitation. About 5-10 minutes later it starts stalling again at lights. Put it in neutral and it cranks, but when you go to drive it, sometimes it either doesn't go when you give it some gas or it goes on its own(very high revving noise without me even touching the gas).

So I was at a loss and just threw a fuel filter at it since its had issues before with fuel filters. No use, runs just like crap after 10 minutes go by. I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key, so I didn't bother changing it since I figure it was working properly if I could hear it.

That's all the details I got now. As far as I know, the truck has always been maintained. Oil changed, water checked. The only thing I've ever done to it majorly is a head gasket job at 110,000 miles which was done by a friend of mine who properly had both heads milled. It now has a hair over 127,000 miles and has started with the issues above. Any ideas to try would be appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help.
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Need to check the fuel pressure.
Old November 29th, 2009, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Hello again,

Just a quick update, yesterday, a colder day in sunny FL., about 60 degrees, started up the truck and you wouldn't believe how it ran! Like brand new. Timed it, drove around in it for a whole hour and not even the slightest problem....I'm really at a loss...

About the fuel pressure, how does one check it? Do I need to buy a special gauge?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Another update,

Ran just like crap again. Now getting worse. Backfiring and chugging. It seems to pick and choose its days to mess up which really leads me to believe its something computer or electronics related as opposed to something mechanical like a fuel pump or filter.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

I was talking to a mechanic the other day and he mentioned that it may be something along the lines of an ignition module or a fuel pump relay or regulator. Anybody here agree/disagree with that assessment?

I also have been checking on how to diagnose fuel pressure, seems like I need a special gauge from the parts store for around 40 bucks, that price sound about right? I'm thinking on getting it soon, so a speedy reply will be appreciated.

Thanks to all who are keeping up with this.
Old December 21st, 2014, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default mine has the same exact problem .

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

Need to check the fuel pressure.
I have a 2000 chev tahoe limited 5.7l. Its doing the same exact thing, can someone please help out.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I'd would also suggest checking the fuel pressure, given that your 5.7 is now 14 years old, if the fuel pump has never been replaced its probably due...
You can get a fuel pressure gauge from Harbor Fright or just about any auto parts store or on-line with Amazon...
The pressure should be in the 55-65 range when running and hold for a period of time with the engine off...
it should also be rather steady and not bouncy, you can check it with key on ignition off...
You should also hear the fuel pump prime up when you first turn the key on...
Old December 23rd, 2014, 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default mine has the same exact problem

Ill try that this weekend. My tahoe has 160,000 miles. Never change the fuel pump before, i keep it all in tuned. I start it , it run good, well im drivivg 10 to 15 5 it starts stalling and idle goes up . If i turn it off and start it again it fine for about 2 min. Any help would be very thankful.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

I for got something, my truck got broke in, and they broke the steering colum. I had it fix along with the with gas gage because it was broken to. I dont know if that helps.
Old June 19th, 2017, 4:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Was the issue ever found out? I have a 04 suburban with the exact same stalling issue.