Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban Stalling

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2008, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suburban Stalling

Hello all - I'm in desperate need of help! A few days ago, my 2000 Suburban 1500 4WD started to lose engine rpm after driving for about 3 hours... rpm decayed but the engine kept running. Eventually it bogged down and was unresponsive to the accelerator. Trying to restart, it would start then rpm would decay - my impression was that the engine acted like it was getting fed water in the fuel or a clogged fuel filter. I limped to a service station, added a half tank of gas and additive and all was normal. Two hours later, the same scenario occurred but I was unable to restart for any appreciable rpm or length of time. I replaced the fuel filter (it needed it) and the air filter, I'm getting fuel to the engine. My electrical system appears fine and it manifests itself in lack of power, decaying rpm, and sputtering, stalling and then quitting... after a period of time, it will run normally for several 15-20 minutes then repeat. Aut repair stores want to install a new fuel pump but aren't sure that will fix the issue (me either). Anyone having experienced this and solving it, I would be grateful for your response... sign me: Stranded in San Antonio and trying to make it back to Corpus Christi without rebuilding my engine and fuel system in SA.
Old November 18th, 2008, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Suburban Stalling

Sorry to post twice, but here's some add'l info:
Chevrolet 1500 LT 4WD V8
Diagnostic Codes from Firestone:
P0102, P0108, P0131, P0151, P0300, P0336, P0405, P1637

Again, thanks for any help from anyone who has lived through this!
Old November 19th, 2008, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Had The Same Problem On My 98 Suburban. Replaced The Fuel Pump And That Took Care Of The Problem. Was Told That The Pump Would Over Heat And Fail. But Make Sure You Buy the OEM Brand And Not Aftermarket. I Did And Have Had Nothing But Problems
Old November 19th, 2008, 6:46 PM
CF Active Member

That 1637 caught my eye. Had a 2000 burban i was working ondoing all sorts of funky stuff. Check your alternator for a high a/c ripple. Multimeter in A/C millivolts, red lead to alt output, black to alt case. Have someone rev engine to around 2k. A/C volts above .200 warrants alt replacment. High ripple confuses ECM.
Fixed my lift queen.
Old November 20th, 2008, 5:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to get a fuel pressure guage on the fuel line and see if you're getting enough pressure. Should be around 60psi...key on engine NOT running.
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
CF Active Member

i have two of the same codes in my 97 silverado and have the same symptoms, i have P0102 and P0300, i dont think its your fuel pump because i was having these problems so i just changed my fuel pump and it didnt help at all, i found that my eng 1 fuse was blowing as soon as i turned on the key, so yesterday i was playing with stuff and found that there was a engine ground that was broken, so i reconnected it to the block, and that were i am now, i can start the engine and itll idle by its self even thought its vvery rough, but if i put my foot on the gas at all, it stalls, my local autozone let me borrow a code reader and i have codes, P0102, P0300, and P1406, so considering we have of the same codes and the same problem, we should be able to narrow it down
Old June 19th, 2017, 4:27 PM
CF Junior Member

was this ever solved? I have a similar stalling issue but no codes on on 04 suburban.