Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Suburban Z71 - no start, no crank

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2013, 4:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Suburban Z71 - no start, no crank

I have a 2004 Z71 that simply stopped starting on Sunday. When the key is turned all the lights come on, you can run the ac, radio, etc., but when you turn the key there is nothing. No noises at all. The battery is good, it was charged on Sunday.

My boyfriend was using it when it happened and he said that the little lock-light on the instrument panel came on so I assumed it must be a passlock problem. I've been given 3 or 4 reset "tricks," and though I'm not sure how accurately they were communicated to me, thus far none of those have worked.

After reading what feels like thousands of responses related to passlock I am now thoroughly confused and also uncertain whether passlock is actually the problem. The light comes on, but it doesn't stay on for a long time. The truck beeps once when the key is inserted; everything comes on when you turn the key - windows, stereo, lights, instrument panel lights etc - but when you turn to the start position there is nothing. There is no clicking like with a bad alternator, no whine like a bad fuel pump....just nothing.

I called Chevy, a dealership and another mechanic and they all want to tow it to them.

I've been searching for hours for a "simple" step-by-step diagnostic for ruling various causes out. If I don't include the word passlock, I don't get anything that mentions that might be a possibility. If I include it I wind up with a bunch of reset instructions.

My boyfriend and a friend of ours have literally been stuck in the middle of nowhere since Sunday. If it has to be towed it will be $100 if we take it to the closest mechanic and closer to $200 if we have to go to a dealer and we just don't that right now.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum fellow ATX'er !
Have you checked all the fuses? could be as simple as the ignition fuse is blown...