Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Tahoe 4x4 front wheel hub/bearing replacement cost ?

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2017, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Tahoe 4x4 front wheel hub/bearing replacement cost ?

Had this done yesterday at well rated, long time, local repair shop. $441 for parts and $207 for labor.

I am not grousing as cost was picked up by National VSC plan. $0 deductible. Invoice says p/n 515036, front hub assembly. So I googled the p/n and some $80+ items came up. I am more curious than anything. Is this also a GM p/n ? I read some posts here and it was stated cheap hub ***'y will last a couple of years. Some stated they have done their own repair and others said it is not unusual for a repair of this type to be in the $500 range, if a nut has problems coming off or if the item has to be pressed in. I am a automotive dunce...full stop.

So, I am not going to bug the repair shop as they warrant their parts and labor for 12 months/12K miles.....unless there are comments about this thread...that warrant more questions.

BTW, the VSC was just about to expire and this repair...plus another HVAC repair last month...just about paid for the cost of the VSC. So we broke even.

Thanks in advance
Old December 2nd, 2017, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

yep, quality bearings are expensive. 3/4 ton truck bearings cost are higher than that. cheap bearings last one year....I've seen cheap bearings be noisy right out of the box.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 1:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 205 Likes on 179 Posts

Maybe ask shop exactly what brand bearing used; like show me the order sheet for the part - (they can hide the price if they want to). In other words, good OEM part or equivalent vs cheapos. Does your warranty specify part use choices?
Old December 2nd, 2017, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Red.....warranty reads "customer supplied parts not warrantied, parts and labor." Don't think I will ask what brand. They are part of NAPA auto...and I can guess who supplied the ***'y.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sounds like the service plan you bought requires the use of a specific brand of part

ie. when you buy the service plan from gm...the shop must use gm parts.
Old January 28th, 2018, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Try to order ur parts from ROCKAUTO. Com...
you won't find them any cheaper anywhere else...