Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Tahoe flip up rear glass hinges

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2006, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Tahoe flip up rear glass hinges

Nothing on recalls.

I never heard of the "issue" till one of the hinges on the flip-up rear glass snapped while on vacation in Utah. The right hinge snapped and the strut pushed the window up. I dropped my gear, and caught the window efore either the glass broke or the left hinge snapped. Had to remove the right strut so it would quit pushing the glass open....

I tried using an epoxy on it. It held for two weeks.

I also thought it was just me. A few days a go, I saw a rear window behind a used car dealer and thought I'd check it out. Both hinges snapped off. I called two dealerships. One was completely useless for info, but a call to the dealership that (ironically) I bought the Tahoe from in '04, gave me a better deal of $600 for the window. (opposed to the other's $800) After inquiring on a recall check and supplying my VIN, he said it wasnt a recall.... but asked my miles. I'm already a few ticks outside the 3/36 warranty, but he ordered the glass and said he'd replace it anyway for me. He said that it is becoming very common. Several Tahoes have come through with the hinges broken off.

How wide-spread is this?
How do we make GM aware of this?

This is literally the ONLY issue we have had with our Tahoe, which has otherwise been an excellent and pleasing vehicle.
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Tahoe flip up rear glass hinges

If you dare bring up the subject (you'll see what I mean when you read this) here is a link to the info you need. Half way down the first page is the GM write up you will be most interested in.

https://chevroletforum.com/m_8972/tm.htm
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

i dare..... [8D]

and thanks for the link.
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:46 AM
CF Beginner

I posted in the above mentioned thread. Here is my post:

We've been reading the posts and decided to jump into the fray.

We have an '04 YukonXL Denali and it's rear tailgate glass separated at the hinge also. The glass is not broken, but the hinge appears to have broken where the adhesive mounts the glass to the hinge.

We do not pull utility trailers. No cherubs have pushed the glass upward to the point of separating the hinge. No obstructions became lodged between the glass and the tailgate. For all reasons we know, the hinge failed for no explainable reason.

We took our vehicle to the dealership to have it repaired or replaced under the extended warranty we purchased when we bought this vehicle. The claim was denied because the failure was to "a hinge" which is not a mechanical component. The dealership shop folks said they thought it should have been covered under the warranty, but they only have opinions, they don't administer the extended warranty so you can't hold their opinions as grounds for coverage if the warranty wants to exclude the coverage.

We find it interesting that our vehicle is not the only one with the separated hinge at the back glass.

So put us down in the camp of vehicle owners with a tailgate glass that has a failed.

/some things should not simply fail and fall off vehicles.
Old November 13th, 2006, 8:38 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to apologize for my part in that Suburban thread.
My hang up was with the guy with an older used vehicle attempting to make an epidemic where there wasn’t one.
The failure rate of the hinge bonds is fewer than 1 tenth of one percent in reported claims vs. number of vehicles produced.
For customers who have the problem I agree that GM should stand behind their product provided the vehicle is near warranty or was purchased new or even during the vehicles life provided it is a fault in production, design or a supplier.

Most (not all) of the hinge failures that I have seen were the result of user error such as leaving the glass up and backing out of a garage or similar, the bond is designed to fail before the glass explodes to protect rear occupants from flying tempered glass shrapnel.