Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Tahoe Z71 Runs like a DOG from day one

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2012, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Tahoe Z71 Runs like a DOG from day one

I Took it back into the dealer right after I bought it and advised them that I was getting crappy gas mileage and that there was no performance on the pedal, in fact it was sluggish. They reprogrammed and advised case closed. Really pissed me off because I was so frustrated with the 12mpg I was getting on a new tahoe, that I was interviewing random strangers at gas stations who were telling me theirs were getting 14.5 to 16.5 around town - and with the auto 4wd engaged?! I dont even care so much about the gas mileage and I understand at some point the ethanol even punished me for another 10% in cost realized. But this went on before ethanol was an issue in my area. THE ISSUE IS THAT THE CAR IS SLUGGISH. you can put your foot so far down and get reasonable acceleration, but short of stomping it, it seems to lack the robust normal RPM power band area. My Wife got an 2003 model ltz around the same time, and hers runs like a speed demon. I am not going to accept that a simple 1500lbs in transfer case and front end could account for this in a motor capable of so much..

I even towed a 5K camp trailer with it once and it barely made it down the highway. We are talking I could not go faster that 70mp, and it would take 1 minute to accelerate from 60 to 70MPH...

So anyway, now its 100K later, warranties are up, and I am looking for a solution. I SWEAR (call me paranoid) that the dealer did something at the point of sale (perhaps a disgrutled rep I dont know) because they were frustrated with the deal I negotiated. In fact, the next day when I went to get the car, they quickly had me initial an new VIN # and different but "similar" vehicle citing that they could not get the one I bought, and also noting that this one came from "way up north"?!?! But the performance issue I refer too seem uncalculable using technical ration, and would seem mechanical in nature. I would not be suprised if I dont find some socks stuffed down in the intake on the front side of the air filter when I get into it... Any help is appreciated.