Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004Suburban 1500 Front A/C not blowing cold (neither zone)

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2016, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004Suburban 1500 Front A/C not blowing cold (neither zone)

New to the forum, mostly because I'm stumped and have nowhere else to go but a mechanic...

I had two problems, and I believe one is fixed and the other has me scratching. Background: driving my 'burb, the A/C wasn't keeping up with the St Louis heat and humidity...well, mostly the heat. Refrigerant pressure was on the low end of good, and after a shot of 134 with some sealant, the rear blows ice cold. However, the front (dual-zone) does not.

I had suspected the door actuator because there have been a couple times when it had a kind of its own, and maxed the heat regardless of its setting, even though it was only once or twice. But that doesn't explain the passenger zone. While the rear blows ice cold, the front zones are mediocre at best, and inadequate at 90+ degrees (not to mention humidity over 70% at times). I pulled the dash to check the driver's side actuator, and it wants to turn continually, so I am going to replace it (I count it fixed because it appears to be an easy install). But even when I manually turn the A/C door by hand to each extreme, the heat works perfectly, but the cold is still pathetic.

So I'm stumped, an I'm hoping someone else can give me some advice.

Zac
Old July 29th, 2016, 7:08 PM
CF Veteran

probably low on refrigerant but now that theres sealant in the system you'll have a hard time finding a shop that will work on it.
Old July 29th, 2016, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
probably low on refrigerant but now that theres sealant in the system you'll have a hard time finding a shop that will work on it.
It's not low, unless there is a second compressor and set of refrigerant lines. I checked it, and it's at the high end of the PSI range. Also, the back blows ice cold.

Zac
Old July 29th, 2016, 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

pressures can be effected by many things just because the pressure is high doesn't mean its full or a good clean charge. If you manually put the door full cold and its still not cold checking the refrigerant charge is the first thing to do.
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
pressures can be effected by many things just because the pressure is high doesn't mean its full or a good clean charge. If you manually put the door full cold and its still not cold checking the refrigerant charge is the first thing to do.
But that doesn't answer the question about only finding one set of lines and one compressor. If the rear blows ice cold, then I dint see how it could be the lines.

Zac
Old July 30th, 2016, 1:00 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Could be a clogged line to the front evaporator.
Old July 30th, 2016, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Could be a clogged line to the front evaporator.
How can this be checked by a home mechanic?
Old July 31st, 2016, 9:58 AM
CF Veteran

the front and rear work off of the same compressor and same refrigerant charge, if the system isn't at capacity then one end may not work as well. Step 1 for diagnosing any AC complaint like this is checking the refrigerant charge. Even if you "topped it off" with a can theres a good chance of air in the system which will cause issues similar to your complaint.