Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Suburban 2500 Seat Heat Issue / Door Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2022, 8:07 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Suburban 2500 Seat Heat Issue / Door Sensor Issue

Hi everyone,
I have two issues I'd like to ask about. I bought this truck a couple months ago and so far pretty good. I don't have a service manual for it yet, but thinking about getting one. I'm handy, but very inexperienced with electrical issues.

1st one is the seat heat. Reading some other posts, I have a decent understanding of how everything ties together and did some troubleshooting to add extra info here. There's a module under the seat that seems to control both driver and passenger side and has all sorts of failsafes and such to prevent you from melting your rear end. My issue is that the drivers side seat heat turns on to max setting every time the truck starts. Hitting the seat back/bottom seat heat button when its cold out and truck is not warm will shut the whole thing off and then it will not turn back on. If the truck has warmed up inside I can sometimes get it to operate normally and reduce output. Drivers seat does get hot on both back and bottom when its on. Passenger side seat heat works normally, except you cant just turn on the seat back heat. Passenger side the whole thing will come on and reduce temp as normal with button clicks. When I click the drivers side seat heat (back and bottom) and its acting up, the lights flash on for a second and I can definitely hear clicking coming from the module under the drivers seat. I'm just confused where to start...whether it be the door button switch assembly or the module under the seat.

Second problem I'm having is the dome lights don't come on when the drivers door is opened. In addition, when the truck is shut off and doors are opened, the radio doesn't shut off. The BCM seems to be operating normally as it will shut off after 20 minutes or so. I couldn't find much good info on how the door ajar sensor works within the door, where it is, etc. I'd like to add that opening the passenger door also does not shut off the radio or turn on the dome lights. The only door that will turn on the dome lights is the driver rear door. I tried putting the truck in gear with one door open at a time and the driver rear was the only one that gave me an alert. At one point in my door open/closed fiasco some combination of opening and closing that rear driver door when the passenger front door was open caused it to recognize the passenger door was open and the dome lights stayed on. That only worked briefly with that weird combination. It's odd for me to believe 3 door sensors are all bad at once, but I ask because I'm not sure if they're all tied in to some module that could be going bad. I don't own a multimeter to test this stuff and I wouldn't even know which pins to poke in the connectors to check for proper readings. Happy to learn, though!

Anyway thanks for reading and thanks for the help!