Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 suburban problems

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2019, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 suburban problems

Hey guys. My stepdad has a 05 suburban 1500 lt. We recently changed the diff out. In order to do that we had to remove the sway bar. We got the new diff in and works like a dream. Now the problem is that the abs light and the traction control lights are on, and it says serve stability system on the info center. Can somebody whats going on cause my stepdad complains about the "**** lights are on agian" everytime i see him. Ps he thinks we damaged the abs sensors on the rear end by sliding the axle back in.

2nd question same truck. We've tried to get it inspected but with many fails mostly on the evap system. It passed with my stepdad filling the tank full, but the side effect is it smells like gas even when the gas cap is closed. Then the other problem is that the engine light comes on when the gas is at a certian level in the tank.
Old April 19th, 2019, 11:39 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default burban problems

Originally Posted by dubmans92
Hey guys. My stepdad has a 05 suburban 1500 lt. We recently changed the diff out. In order to do that we had to remove the sway bar. We got the new diff in and works like a dream. Now the problem is that the abs light and the traction control lights are on, and it says serve stability system on the info center. Can somebody whats going on cause my stepdad complains about the "**** lights are on agian" everytime i see him. Ps he thinks we damaged the abs sensors on the rear end by sliding the axle back in.

2nd question same truck. We've tried to get it inspected but with many fails mostly on the evap system. It passed with my stepdad filling the tank full, but the side effect is it smells like gas even when the gas cap is closed. Then the other problem is that the engine light comes on when the gas is at a certian level in the tank.
Can't help with the first problem, but maybe the second. A common problem with the evap system is that drivers tend to top off the tank when filling up like in the old days. The problem is that instead of gas fumes from the tank entering the evap canister, the topping off results in raw gas reaching that canister, flooding it, and preventing the fumes from being introduced into the combustion cycle the way it was designed. This probably accounts for the gas smell that you referred to. From now on when the pump turns off, consider the tank full and do NOT top it off. I do not know if this problem will right itself over time, but it is a direction to follow and may also explain why the check engine light comes on as you mentioned.
Old April 19th, 2019, 2:31 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

on my 02 silv. if you filled it past 3/4 it would also smell of fuel but only then. you wouldnt have to top it off and the smell would be there till the fuel level got to around 1/2 or so