Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Tahoe 4.8 dies while driving..!!??

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2015, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Tahoe 4.8 dies while driving..!!??

So, Im pretty sure the fuel pump is starting to go out, but I thought to see if this has happend to anyone else.

2005 Tahoe, 4.8, 150k miles, wife was driving the other day, after a 10 minute freeway drive, got off the off ramp, came to stop sign. Truck dies.

Cranks, and Cranks and Cranks. Did not fire up.
I went and met her at her truck, I could hear fuel pump prime when I turned key..but no start. I brought my code reader. NO CODES.?

Called tow truck. Towed home. One more try for the night, cranked and cranked, NO START.

Next morning, went out and for the heck of it, went to start it..AND IT FIRED UP??

Drove it around block, no problem.

Drove it a little further, DIED as i was driving! Coasted to the side and shut it off. THIS TIME THOUGH...tried to start it, it wanted to start.. but chugged for a sec then died. Shut it off, turned the key back on to hear fuel pump prime, it did, fired it up, ran for a about 10 seconds then died. NO PEDAL response when tried to give it gas. kept trying to crank and crank, finally it started again. DROVE IT BACK HOME.

Drove from my house 3 blocks to buddy who owns mechanic shop at gas station. He put his Fuel Pressure gauge on, read 58 psi constant, no miss fire or hesitation or anything? STILL NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OR COdes, or pending codes...So it has to be something mechanical right??

What would cause the engine to die while driveing?? Any tips or thoughts?
Thanks guys in advance.