Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New (old) Suburban Aftermarket Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2015, 7:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question New (old) Suburban Aftermarket Exhaust Question

Hi

I have just acquired a 2000 Chevy Suburban 1500.
It is in reasonable state but needs a few jobs doing to it.
One is the exhaust systems has seen better days.

I had a look at some after market systems from reputable suppliers, but I am worried they will be too loud and drone in the cabin... the 'Burb will be used for family trips and trailer hauling...

I was looking at Stainless Gibson Side Swept single pipe
Or a Dynomax VT also side swept single pipe

I would like to have your inputs on this...

Thank you for any advice you can give me
Old October 13th, 2015, 3:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you that some of the aftermarket system available are really too loud. The dynomat VT is a performance exhaust and it will be louder than stock. The Gibson exhaust is also more performance oriented and will be loud.

Your best approach would be to visit your local muffler shop and discuss a stock sounding muffler. This would be something like a Walker muffler. If you interested in installing the muffler and exhaust system yourself, NAPA, Advance, O'Reilly etc will have something in stock or they can get over night that will be close to the stock sound.

There are some nice performance exhaust system on the market, but if you want / need a quiet vehicle, which I too would rather have, look for a stock replacement.

Good luck with your repair and let us know what you decided on, after it is installed.
Old October 14th, 2015, 1:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Corsa exhaust. It sounds great and not loud unless you get on the gas pedal. Corsa claims no-drone, but I have sensitive ears and there is an ultra tiny bit, when the motor goes into 4 cylinder mode. I have a 07 Tahoe. BUT their price is a bit expensive, but you get a great quality system, and i have first hand experience in their after purchase customer service which was superior. Check out their site. Good luck!
Old October 14th, 2015, 4:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SUBS echo noise like a hollow tube. I am extremely sensitive to noise so I work hard so work hard at keeping my sub squeak and smell free.

My denali had an after market exhaust and the 6.0. Drove me freaking NUTS. I love long trips and what ends up happening to is the drone, although slight. ends up making me tired etc.

My suggestion is to go with stock replacement.
Old October 30th, 2015, 7:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi
OK thank you all for your inputs :-)
The tail pipe has now disintegrated so I have taken the risk of a Gibson exhaust...
I have listened to hundreds of different sound videos which helped my choose a stainless cat back system that is well "muffled" ...
I'll keep you posted on the results...
Thanks again!