Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 tahoe

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2012, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 tahoe

Hi everyone,
Just need a little advice. I'm currently driving a 99 tahoe. yes it runs, looks a little worn but does get me where I need to go. I recently came across a 2005 tahoe with 53,000 miles on it. Seems to be in immaculate shape except for a rip in the driver seat. My concern is the year and the only warranty will probably be a limited one from the dealer. They are asking 18,875. Am I crazy for buying something that old? I can't afford what I really want, a newer tahoe or a gmc Acadia. All advice VERY much appreciated. Also, is there anything faulty about that particular year? Thanks!!! Patty
Old January 8th, 2012, 9:51 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked Kelley Blue Book and/or Edmunds for price info?

It's certainly a low mileage vehicle and if properly maintained, a durable truck. If you find that the price seems close, I'd have it inspected by a trusted mechanic. Good luck.
Old January 9th, 2012, 6:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Considering that I just bought a 2005 with 60k miles on it, with warranty to cover it to 100k miles for right at $14,000, I'd say so...but the price you're talking about is right about spot on with the research I did for my area. Location has a strong connection with pricing.

Try talking them down some.
Old January 9th, 2012, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

I am in central NJ. They won't budge on the price.
Is there a way I can trace the previous owner through a vin number? I would like to know how well the truck was maintained. I'm sure the dealer shined it up real pretty and steam cleaned the engine before showing it.
Old January 9th, 2012, 7:46 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

You might try your state's DMV for finding the PO.

I hope they didn't actually "steam" clean the engine. With all of the electronics connectors, that would be a disaster. They probably used low pressure water and a surfactant. At least, that's what I do.
Old January 9th, 2012, 9:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pattyswind
I am in central NJ. They won't budge on the price.
Is there a way I can trace the previous owner through a vin number? I would like to know how well the truck was maintained. I'm sure the dealer shined it up real pretty and steam cleaned the engine before showing it.
The Carfax will give you an idea of where the vehicle has been. I don't think you will find anything that will specifically list who the previous owner was. That would be a violation of their privacy.

However, I am sure that with a keen eye you can check everything out real good. Here is a link to an article that I saw while looking through a Popular Mechanics magazine. It includes a used car checklist. The actual article can be found HERE. Take a look at it, and look for the PDF checklist download. They list some great things to check over real well. Keep us updated on your purchase. Good luck!!