Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 tahoe jumps a little when put in drive

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2011, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 tahoe jumps a little when put in drive

Hello,
I recently had an engine installed in my 2005 Tahoe z71 yesterday (haven't paid for engine install yet) and when I went to pick it up today I noticed when I put it drive gear or reverse gear it jumps/ bucks a little. This was not happening prior to me getting my engine installed. The mechanic still has it at the shop and is trying to diagnose the problem. He thinks it could be my Transfer case however I don't see what could have happened as he didn't have to touch that to install my engine. The engine seems to run great. Just when I put it into drive or Reverse gear it jerks until I get going a good speed. Could it be a bad EGR valve or even a Throttle Position Sensor? My check engine light didn't come on. What should I do tomorrow if the shops calls and says they can't figure it out??? Does this sound like an engine problem or something else maybe transfer case/Transmission? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by tlaura21; June 1st, 2011 at 7:30 PM. Reason: give more details
Old June 1st, 2011, 11:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaura21
Hello,
I recently had an engine installed in my 2005 Tahoe z71 yesterday (haven't paid for engine install yet) and when I went to pick it up today I noticed when I put it drive gear or reverse gear it jumps/ bucks a little. This was not happening prior to me getting my engine installed. The mechanic still has it at the shop and is trying to diagnose the problem. He thinks it could be my Transfer case however I don't see what could have happened as he didn't have to touch that to install my engine. The engine seems to run great. Just when I put it into drive or Reverse gear it jerks until I get going a good speed. Could it be a bad EGR valve or even a Throttle Position Sensor? My check engine light didn't come on. What should I do tomorrow if the shops calls and says they can't figure it out??? Does this sound like an engine problem or something else maybe transfer case/Transmission? Any help would be appreciated.
is it a slack in the driveline lurch or more of a tranny pull?

:chug:
Old June 2nd, 2011, 7:10 AM
CF Beginner

It seems more of a tranny pull but then again I'm not really sure. The best way to describe it is if it were a manual transmission and i needed to shift gears and had the clutch pedal fully engaged but not enough gas on the gas pedal....... its the jumping you would feel until you had enough gas applied. Does anyone think it could be anything in my engine. As my truck was fine with shifting and getting into drive gear and reverse gear with no jumping/ bucking prior to them swapping engines. I just want to know before I sign off (pay mechanic) on my engine swap and just accept that something else is wrong with my truck in a different area. I just find it coincidental.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaura21
Hello,
Tlaura21,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Did you have your engine installed at a GM Dealer?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 2nd, 2011, 1:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Hummm... motor and transmission mounts? torque converter? Idle air control? too high of an idle RPM...
Old June 2nd, 2011, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help. I wanted to know where should my RPM's be at at an idle? My truck was running fine prior to having the engine swapped so I believe something happened at install. The problem is what? How can i check to see if its a tranny mount problem? Also what is idle air control mean? Thanks again.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 7:35 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Hopefully your mechanic replaced the motor mounts when the new engine was installed.
You can check the tranny mount at the cross member where the transmission rest on it... check for cracks or tears, try to push up on the tail stock of the transmission and check to see if any cracks open up on it...

The IAC ( Idle Air Control) controls the engine RPM's at idle by open and closing a small port at the throttle body letting more or less air in as needed to maintain a steady idle RPM when the engine is running in park , in gear and when the AC is on...
I don't know the specs for your engine but somewhere around 600-700rpm at idle sounds about right...