Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2007 chevy suburban power lift gate problem (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2007-chevy-suburban-power-lift-gate-problem-53269/)

steve8691 September 23rd, 2012 8:09 PM

2007 chevy suburban power lift gate problem

Push any of the buttons to open the tail gate and it does not open. It makes all the noises and unlatches but does not open. When manually opened, I push the button it makes all the noises and does not close. The motor is working, but my guess is that the mag clutch is not engaging and I dont know why. I call it the mag clutch, because I dont know what it is called. It uses electricity to engage when it open or closes. any help would be appreciated.

Chevrolet Customer Service September 28th, 2012 6:42 PM

Originally Posted by steve8691 (Post 227462)
Push any of the buttons to open the tail gate and it does not open. It makes all the noises and unlatches but does not open. When manually opened, I push the button it makes all the noises and does not close. The motor is working, but my guess is that the mag clutch is not engaging and I dont know why. I call it the mag clutch, because I dont know what it is called. It uses electricity to engage when it open or closes. any help would be appreciated.

steve8691,

I would like to look into this concern for you. Will you please send me your first and last name, address, VIN and current miles on the vehicle.

Thank you,

Tina
Chevrolet Customer Service

steve8691 September 30th, 2012 9:51 PM

steve darden, xxxx, utopia, tx xxxxxx,xxxxxg280838, 90,000 miles

Kelly Monteruil October 1st, 2012 2:48 PM

I am having an identical issue. What is it?

steve8691 October 9th, 2012 12:46 PM

latch assy?

Local dealers says its the latch assy inside the door. supposedly not sending signal to the powerlift gate assy to open or close. They want $443 to repair. Not comfortable with answer that an assy in the door is not owrking and the door wont open. Is this probable? Hate to spend $443 and that not fix the problem. They also said latch assy must be programed at the dealer for it to work. Im confused. Any suggestions?

whirled pees October 12th, 2012 8:34 PM

Steve,
My 2008 Tahoe has developed the exact same problem you have.
I get the same clicks and whirs, but no raised lift gate!!

Have you found an answer yet?:cool:

steve8691 October 13th, 2012 9:02 AM

see above reply

see the above reply. Nothing else new yet. Really cant believe its the latch assy though. Waiting on a nephew thats a mechanic to tell me more.

whirled pees October 18th, 2012 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by steve8691 (Post 229356)
see the above reply. Nothing else new yet. Really cant believe its the latch assy though. Waiting on a nephew thats a mechanic to tell me more.

Steve, I checked all my fuses today, everything o.k. Then I started reading through my book! Boy am I red faced!!! I found the switch 0n the overhead console (right by my sun roof) it was off!!!! Turned it on and everything works! Yipee.:o:o:o

steve8691 October 18th, 2012 8:24 AM

switch

I found the switch early on but it maked no difference. Im gonna check it again though to make sure. Thanks

abarli65 February 4th, 2013 10:58 PM

Any updates to this? I have the same problem with my 2007. Console, remote, or rear hatch button all do the same thing... latch unlatches, but I have to pull the door a bit or it will re-latch. The auto lift does not engage. I hear it, but it does nothing. I had to pull it and would feel it disengage.

I have also heard that it could be the electronics in the latch mechanism that is not telling the lift to lift. The latch does make all kinds of noises and sounds like it cannot make up its mind what it is doing upon opening.

I am about to list to sell, but want to fix this before I do.

in2pro February 5th, 2013 7:49 AM

abarli65 Welcome to the forum

Will the hatch stay open if you open it manually? the struts may be weak and or the opening mechanism gears may be worn or broken...
If you hear it operating, I suspect the latter, however the struts should be inspected...

steve8691 February 5th, 2013 8:00 AM

The last time I had it in the shop, I told them if they would gaurantee that they would fix it with the part they wanted to put in to go ahead (about $500) but they were not goig to nickle and dime me. Well the part didnt fix it. They had a used suburban that they took parts off of and said they found the problem and it would cost $850 in part adn 4 hours labor. My wife wanted it done so I bit the bullet. Well, that part didnt fix it either. When I got the suburban back, they replaced 2 modules and a lock for a total of $1065.82 , but no labor.

Im satisfied that the door is fixed but frustrated that even the dealer cant figure out the root problem.

abarli65 February 5th, 2013 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 239970)
abarli65 Welcome to the forum

Will the hatch stay open if you open it manually? the struts may be weak and or the opening mechanism gears may be worn or broken...
If you hear it operating, I suspect the latter, however the struts should be inspected...

I have replaced the struts. The lift mechanism does not fully run, but just whines for a sec.

I have all the plastic pulled away and can see all gears and motor.

abarli65 February 5th, 2013 10:04 PM

That's a whip Steve. I want to sell this thing with a working tailgate, but don't want to have to drop a grand on it to do so. What to do, what to do.

in2pro February 6th, 2013 12:12 PM

You've done good if you have it to the point of being able to see its workings...
Will it work if you assist it? I don't have that option but can only offer my troubleshooting opinions...
if its making sound then the motor is getting power
It could be the driver/module for the motor, not providing the current needed..
It could be the motor...
might try disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connections to ensure its all a good connection...

73shark February 7th, 2013 10:32 AM

If the motor is turning but the gears are not and they're plastic, possibly a stripped gear.

abarli65 February 9th, 2013 10:09 AM

The gears to lift the liftgate are definitely not stripped... they some sort of metal.

I now pretty much use the button on the liftgate itself. Once I squeeze it, the latch unlocks and I have to pull on it just a little to get the latch off the loop thing... I hold it for just a second before the liftgate mechanism on the left releases it. When this first started, I had to 'pop' it sort of to release it, but now it does it pretty much on its own, or just much easier.
A few seconds after, the latch starts to whril, click, and sputter.

My neighbor is a service advisor for GMC... we looked this up on the GM service website and there are so many tests and voltage checks on the lock, modules, and motor... I have an ODB2 reader and I have no codes. I may just bite the bullet and take it in and hope for the best.

adolpho February 26th, 2013 9:05 PM

My 07 Suburban LTZ had the same problem a couple of days ago, however I attributed that to the -30 degree weather we were having here in ND. It works again now. Does it work off and on? or is it hard broke?

abarli65 February 27th, 2013 9:13 AM

Fixed

After everything I have read here and taking all the panels off, watching and listening to my system not work, I decided to have my neighbor take it into his dealership.

Turned out to be the latch mechanism.

They replaced it and had to re-flash it. These things have software involved, so not something that can be fixed at home.

$400 fix. Oh well, it is what it is.

Hanske69 April 12th, 2013 4:05 AM

2008 chevy suburban

I have the same problem and before i found this forum i have had also replaced the motor already :( . I have also found on another forum Power Lift gate problem.....Help - Chevy Tahoe Forum | GMC Yukon Forum | Tahoe Z71 | Cadillac Escalade - Tahoe Yukon Forum that it could be the latch inside the door.

I gone order a latch and try to replace it.
greetz
Hans

in2pro April 12th, 2013 11:51 AM

Hanske69 Welcome to the forum...
Do let us know if the latch resolves the issue and if you have to have it reprogrammed or not...
Take a few pictures of the process and the assemblies if you can...

Joe In NY April 12th, 2013 2:25 PM

THE LATCH WILL FIX ALL ISSUES!!!! I have a 2007. The damn latch stripped the ONE PLASTIC GEAR! There several metal gears and ONE PLASTIC!!! The plastic gear is the actual latch gear. My uncle got it for $100 NEW in FL (wanted $400 in NY) This fixed the REAR LIFT GATE, DVD PLAYER, AND THE GPS!!!!

I was furious that the rear door opened ON THE HIGHWAY!!!!!!! if i didn't have my HF Aluminum Rack with stuff in it I WOULD HAVE LOST ALL MY STUFF!!!!! And I was even more torched when it turns out the rear latch made the DVD/CD quit, GPS quit, and the entire lift gate!!! That was so frustrating... Then 2 months later I got rear-ended!! Total Bill $3800!! Other guys prob not mine :) And I got a WHOLE new door!

73shark April 12th, 2013 2:51 PM

Hope you kept the new old latch if it was salvageable. ;)

Joe In NY April 12th, 2013 4:17 PM

unfortunately no i didn't. Drove home which was only about 10 min and then my wife drove it to the collision center the next day. 2 weeks later we got it back. For a rental we a got a base level Hyundai Accent during winter! So i drove that. (good mpg tho..)

When i went to the collision center instantly got service parking assist... So it had to stay another 2 days... Then when we got it back i looked under the car when i got home and saw the 2 main wiring harnesses had new push clips but weren't pushed into the frame! they were hanging down really low! out them back in, then the back bumper was missing one the push clips for one of tabs that holds the plastic up, and the plastic foot board or whatever you call it on the back bumper is lose... its the only collision and they dont do good work... shame....

Hanske69 May 10th, 2013 10:29 AM

Power lift gate problems

Hi everyone,

I have order a new latch on my VIN code and it don't need to program the latch. Every problem is being solved now. The power lift gate works properly.
I has been taken approx. one small hour to open/close the trim panel , remove and installation the latch and testing !
The costs were 385 Eur = approx. 498 US dollar
thx everyone for the help and support

Hans De Ridder
Belgium - Europe

Hanske69 May 11th, 2013 3:38 AM

Power lift gate problems

Hi,

here you can find the things you need for the vehicle
2008 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 1500 Parts - GM Parts - Genuine Replacement GM Parts - New GM Parts

grtz
Hans

timlieb May 29th, 2013 2:01 PM

I'm having the same issue.

I'm having the same issue with my Suburban. All the noises but no action! Has anyone found a better solution?
Thanks!

jniolon May 29th, 2013 3:33 PM

same song different model

I'm having the same issues with a 2008 LT. noises but no action, other than unlatch. Key fob and console button don't do anything... I see that the latch fixed one but mine is an '08 and the epay price is 200 bucks.... don't want to spend it if it's not the fix I need

suggestions, ideas, cwags ????

john

Hanske69 May 30th, 2013 3:25 AM

Power lift gate problems

Originally Posted by timlieb (Post 249079)
I'm having the same issue with my Suburban. All the noises but no action! Has anyone found a better solution?
Thanks!

Replace the latch and it will work !!!!

Djalhughes June 12th, 2013 3:15 PM

I am having the same problem with my 2007 Chevy Tahoe. Any updates on this?

loosid September 23rd, 2013 6:58 PM

just ordered latch 190 on hanske website.. 10/13

just ordered the lath through the gm parts website link that hanske punched in. will install and update with update. also had taken it to guaranty chevrolet in santa ana, ca 1 year ago to have the rear unit reprogrammed in case that was the issue. it did not solve the problem. that was after i bought and installed a motor (was not the problem). was told by the dealer that the actual issue per the codes was the latch. never cared enough to get around to purchasing it, since the rear liftgate works fine manually. but got tired of other people, valets and car wash people push the button to kingdom come with no results. ha. will post if this fixed the problem. by the way, guaranty chevrolet gave me a quote of 595 to fix my problem. ...

loosid October 4th, 2013 9:48 PM

update to liftgate issue

PROBLEM SOLVED. BOUGHT THE 170 POWER LIFTGATE LATCH FROM THE http://www.newgmparts.com/partlocato...?siteid=213815 GM PARTS WEBSITE. ABOUT190 WITH TAX AN SHIP. PARTIALLY REMOVED LIFTGATE PLASTIC COVER, REMOVED 3 BOLTS AND 1X PLUG. REPLCD W/ NEW PART. RELANDD BOLTS. 17MINS TOTAL FROM START TO FINISH. FIXED MY PROBLEM. MIND YOU, GUARANTY CHEVROLET IN SANTA ANA GAVE A QUOTE OF 570 FOR PART AND LABOR TO FIX MY LIFTGATE NON OP PROB. DEALER IS SUCH A RIP OFF. NO RESETTING OF BACK COMPUTER NEEDED. PLUG AND PLAY. 2007 CHEVY REAR LIFTGATE, NON OP/ DOES NOT OPEN. PROBLEM SOLVED. :)

hjprice07hoe January 19th, 2014 5:25 PM

Any suggestions if I replaced the latch and while there is actually now some movement (will not open on its own at all, but when open will close about 1/3 of the way and stop) it still isn't working?

Pax Man November 6th, 2014 3:12 PM

Part Number for the latch?

Pax Man November 6th, 2014 3:17 PM

I found it...thought I would post for all:

• <label>Manufacturer:</label> GM
  • <label>Part Number:</label> 13581405
  • <label>Part:</label> Liftgate Latch assembly
  • <label>Part Notes:</label> lift gate door w/pwr lift gate

in2pro November 7th, 2014 10:59 AM

Welcome to the forum Pax Man, and thanks for the follow up on your finding the parts:cool:

tomblumens February 16th, 2015 11:27 AM

I am experiencing the same issues with my 2008 Tahoe's back tailgate. Did replacing the GM 13581405 Liftgate Latch resolve the problem?

martin.karl February 24th, 2015 7:53 PM

similar problem with my 07 suburban

My rear power lift gate works sometimes. remote, button on overhead console, even with the rear handle button. lights will flash, you hear the sounds, but gate does not lift. sometimes it works perfect! seems to have a mind of it's own. just a major problem when we need to load or unload groceries, stroller, etc...
glass opens fine, but some items are too big or bulky to move in and out through the glass.
HELP!
when it does work, again... works perfectly fine!

on a possibly related note (electrical issue, maybe) after reversing and placing back in drive, i'll notice the parking sensor lights (on the rear passenger side pillar) will have a flashing red light when driving forward after reversing out of a parking spot. it'll keep flashing while driving. i've found that while moving forward, placing the transmission in neutral, then back into drive, it'll stop the red light from flashing.
while the light is flashing, if anything approaches the rear bumper (even with the gear still in a forward drive gear) the sensor will beep at me letting me know something is near the rear bumper.

any suggestions?

loosid February 26th, 2015 6:58 PM

power lift gate

yes.. the latch did work. i incorrectly replaced the motor. $300+ from dealer. i swapped it out myself. no dice. i read it could be the latch. ordered one from same website stated earlier in post for my exact model. 10 minutes with out any extraordinary tools and i was done. worked like a charm.

Val26 April 8th, 2015 7:54 PM

Replacement Latch Worked!

Ordered the replacement latch assembly, installed latch and wala...power liftgate is now working! Thanks for all the help😊