Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 chevy suburban power lift gate problem

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2012, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 chevy suburban power lift gate problem

Push any of the buttons to open the tail gate and it does not open. It makes all the noises and unlatches but does not open. When manually opened, I push the button it makes all the noises and does not close. The motor is working, but my guess is that the mag clutch is not engaging and I dont know why. I call it the mag clutch, because I dont know what it is called. It uses electricity to engage when it open or closes. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by steve8691; September 23rd, 2012 at 8:57 PM.
Old September 28th, 2012, 6:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by steve8691
Push any of the buttons to open the tail gate and it does not open. It makes all the noises and unlatches but does not open. When manually opened, I push the button it makes all the noises and does not close. The motor is working, but my guess is that the mag clutch is not engaging and I dont know why. I call it the mag clutch, because I dont know what it is called. It uses electricity to engage when it open or closes. any help would be appreciated.
steve8691,

I would like to look into this concern for you. Will you please send me your first and last name, address, VIN and current miles on the vehicle.

Thank you,

Tina
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 30th, 2012, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

steve darden, xxxx, utopia, tx xxxxxx,xxxxxg280838, 90,000 miles

Last edited by in2pro; October 2nd, 2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Moderator removed personal information listed, private PM should be used.
Old October 1st, 2012, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

I am having an identical issue. What is it?
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default latch assy?

Local dealers says its the latch assy inside the door. supposedly not sending signal to the powerlift gate assy to open or close. They want $443 to repair. Not comfortable with answer that an assy in the door is not owrking and the door wont open. Is this probable? Hate to spend $443 and that not fix the problem. They also said latch assy must be programed at the dealer for it to work. Im confused. Any suggestions?
Old October 12th, 2012, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Steve,
My 2008 Tahoe has developed the exact same problem you have.
I get the same clicks and whirs, but no raised lift gate!!

Have you found an answer yet?
Old October 13th, 2012, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default see above reply

see the above reply. Nothing else new yet. Really cant believe its the latch assy though. Waiting on a nephew thats a mechanic to tell me more.
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by steve8691
see the above reply. Nothing else new yet. Really cant believe its the latch assy though. Waiting on a nephew thats a mechanic to tell me more.
Steve, I checked all my fuses today, everything o.k. Then I started reading through my book! Boy am I red faced!!! I found the switch 0n the overhead console (right by my sun roof) it was off!!!! Turned it on and everything works! Yipee.
Old October 18th, 2012, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default switch

I found the switch early on but it maked no difference. Im gonna check it again though to make sure. Thanks
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Any updates to this? I have the same problem with my 2007. Console, remote, or rear hatch button all do the same thing... latch unlatches, but I have to pull the door a bit or it will re-latch. The auto lift does not engage. I hear it, but it does nothing. I had to pull it and would feel it disengage.

I have also heard that it could be the electronics in the latch mechanism that is not telling the lift to lift. The latch does make all kinds of noises and sounds like it cannot make up its mind what it is doing upon opening.

I am about to list to sell, but want to fix this before I do.

Quick Reply: 2007 chevy suburban power lift gate problem