Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 chevy suburban power lift gate problem

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2019, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2007 Tahoe. While driving, I receive an alarm indicating that the rear access is open. It is clearly not open. I've tried opening it manually and closing it manually to see if that would resolve the issue, but it did not. I replaced the latch mechanism and that did not resolve the issue. In addition, while this is happening, the door locks continually try to lock. (so I get a ding, ding, ding; shcka, shcka, shcka)

Suggestion?

Last edited by CiciMD; June 12th, 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old July 31st, 2019, 4:36 AM
CF Beginner

Hey All
just bought my 2nd 2007 Tahoe LT 1st off I love the truck, however the rear lift gate will not open manually (from the outside) pressing the handle button does nothing, it opens fine from the switch on the roof console and the factory remote.......... Any ideas ? Bad Latch ?

thank you in advance
Old August 2nd, 2019, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by suffolk
Hey All
just bought my 2nd 2007 Tahoe LT 1st off I love the truck, however the rear lift gate will not open manually (from the outside) pressing the handle button does nothing, it opens fine from the switch on the roof console and the factory remote.......... Any ideas ? Bad Latch ?

thank you in advance
Sounds like a bad switch in the lift gate handle.

Here's a youtube link for its replacement:

Hope it helps.
Old October 24th, 2019, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by steve8691
Push any of the buttons to open the tail gate and it does not open. It makes all the noises and unlatches but does not open. When manually opened, I push the button it makes all the noises and does not close. The motor is working, but my guess is that the mag clutch is not engaging and I dont know why. I call it the mag clutch, because I dont know what it is called. It uses electricity to engage when it open or closes. any help would be appreciated.
I have a 2007 in my shop for repair after being struck on the left rear door and left side of the rear bumper which put the tailgate in a bind
with the edge of the bumper. After removing the rear bumper from the veh where the gate was free to open now, we found it was not opening
and can here the assist regulator turning but the gate would not budge.
We have an all-data scan tool and found the power to the module missing and no signal to the latch inside the gate that locks it down to the lower striker.
Did a symptom search in our collision all-data program and located this procedure which fixed the problem.
Wanted to share, good luck.
Fred

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *************************
The power liftgate function will only be allowed if certain operating criteria are met. Use a scan tool and retrieve and DTC's that may exist from the liftgate control module (LGM) Any of the following may cause the power liftgate NOT to function:
  • After a power loss of the low current battery supply until the ignition is cycled.
  • The vehicle is not in park.
  • Engine cranking is present.
  • The ambient temperature at the LGM must be within -17 to +80°C (+1 to +176°F).
  • Liftgate motor excess current is detected.
  • System voltage is out of range.
  • A DTC is set that disables power liftgate functionality.
  • The liftgate is locked when attempting to open from the exterior handle.
TECH-ASSIST09/27/2019 | 14:08:04

1 Repair(s) Available
Verified Repair(1)
TECH-ASSIST09/27/2019 | 14:06:54
We followed testing for liftgate inoperative in ALLDATA.

Vehicle>Body and Frame>Locks>Testing and Inspection>Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures>Power Liftgate Inoperative

We found the liftgate control module (LGM) defective. We replaced the LGM with no more issues. Fixed.

Old July 12th, 2021, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

2007 Chevy Suburban liftgate won't open. I replaced actuator and power switch. The fuse is good however when I checked voltage at power switch it read 11.8 and does not activate actuator I removed the actuator and tried it on another batteey and it worked . The battery on the Suburban reads 12 voltes is voltage at baterry to low to activated the actuator?
Old July 13th, 2021, 9:38 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

A full function scan tool is needed, one that scans all the code families, not just P codes as gate codes will be in the other code families of B, C and U.
My '11 Tahoe power lift gate has sensors in each side of the gate for example that tell modules if it's open or closed.
In a lot of the systems the modules ground the actuators not supply power to them.
My Tahoe has 41 scannable modules, everything is computer module controlled. Without seeing if any codes are present you have no idea what's going on.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 5:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default Easy fix for 07 and up suburban lift gate

Originally Posted by steve8691
Push any of the buttons to open the tail gate and it does not open. It makes all the noises and unlatches but does not open. When manually opened, I push the button it makes all the noises and does not close. The motor is working, but my guess is that the mag clutch is not engaging and I dont know why. I call it the mag clutch, because I dont know what it is called. It uses electricity to engage when it open or closes. any help would be appreciated.
this is a pretty easy fix… what you do is close the lift gate and climb in thru the back seat and at the very bottom of the lift gate there’s a tiny circle shape, drill thru the plastic then get a thin long screwdriver or pick and stick in hole as you push down. That will open the lift gate and reset the acutuator. Now push the lift gate button and you’re all set