Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban 2500 A/C grinding upon startup

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2009, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban 2500 A/C grinding upon startup

I bought an 07 Suburban 2500 4x4 new 2 years ago and it is still under warranty. Tha A/C did this same grinding about a year ago and the dealer replaced the a/c compressor without duplicating the noise, stating it left the factory with less than half the oil in the compressor. It has been noise free until now. It is now doing the same thing. It does not grind all of the time, only when it sits out in the sun for many hours. It is normally in our garage, but yesterday we were in Ocean City and it sat in the sun for 5 hours, I started it, put the a/c on, awful grinding, turned off the a/c grinding stopped, restarted the a/c and it worked fine just the same as last year. I could not get it to do it today. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas? Thanks, Andrew
Old August 25th, 2009, 7:46 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

There was some discussion on this a couple of years ago and it centered around liquid freon collecting in the compressor.

Does your noise go away if you don't turn off and back on?
Old August 25th, 2009, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the welcome 73Shark. I instinctively go and shut off the A/C because the grinding is so loud. So I do not know if it will stop grinding on its own. It is going to the dealer on Thursday. What was the solution for liquid freon collecting in the compressor? Thanks, Andrew
Old August 26th, 2009, 9:18 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe its called "slugging" when the compressor is trying to deal with the liquid instead of gas.... the video and sound clip someone posted at one time was a "sticky" in the Tahoe forum but I don't see it now...
Old August 26th, 2009, 9:21 AM
Administrator

try this link....
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...light=slugging
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks in2pro. I read the link you provided and found alot of good information but did not have the password to see/hear the video that a member made. Thanks, Andrew
Old August 28th, 2009, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Dealer reprogrammed ecu. Hopefully the noise will be gone for good. Thanks for your help. Andrew
Old July 9th, 2011, 2:31 AM
CF Beginner

Default 07 2500 silverado

Originally Posted by ajrkar
I bought an 07 Suburban 2500 4x4 new 2 years ago and it is still under warranty. Tha A/C did this same grinding about a year ago and the dealer replaced the a/c compressor without duplicating the noise, stating it left the factory with less than half the oil in the compressor. It has been noise free until now. It is now doing the same thing. It does not grind all of the time, only when it sits out in the sun for many hours. It is normally in our garage, but yesterday we were in Ocean City and it sat in the sun for 5 hours, I started it, put the a/c on, awful grinding, turned off the a/c grinding stopped, restarted the a/c and it worked fine just the same as last year. I could not get it to do it today. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas? Thanks, Andrew

I Have exact same problem w 2007 2500 silverado. Only does it after 12 hr shift in 115 degree heat on initial start. Dealer unable to duplicate. Dont have time to leave at dealership all day and start in front of them. Only does it on initial start I can start 10x after and no noise. No probs w truck or engine just annoying/embarrassing in front of friends. Please let me know how you fixed it.
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator

ddeitchler Welcome to the forum

I have only heard my 2007 do it a couple of three times maybe...
it seems that the times I heard it is when I turned the AC on while was just starting to drive where as 90% of the time I turn my AC on while still in park..
I too am almost always parked in a garage thou and out of the sun...
The AC seems to work fine, even with our 103+ days if I turn on the AC while parked in the garage and put it on high I can have everyone bitchin that its too cold...

Last edited by in2pro; July 9th, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old July 9th, 2011, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default Similar issue

I have a similar issue in my 2003 Z71. My "grinding" sound also happens with the ac on.....but only when I give it gas and at a certain rpm. My neighbor said it is the compressor (clutch) engaging and dis-engaging. Has anyone had this?

Quick Reply: 2007 Suburban 2500 A/C grinding upon startup