Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban 5.3L Oil Pressure Drops, Warning Sounds, Restart Engine, Back to Normal

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BurbFan
Not yet. I have been trying to get a response from the dealer where I purchased the vehicle.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> BurbFan,

Please keep us posted. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact me privately with your information.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 7th, 2013, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut my oil filters apart today to see if I could identify a problem. Nothing conclusive, but there's a fair amount of black sediment in the folds. Much more than I would expect for new oil. I'm thinking that the dealer just reset the monitor, but didn't change the oil. We'll see what happens in the next couple thousand miles since I know there's new oil in it now.
Old February 10th, 2013, 9:42 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Oil pressure warning

I started having the same problem yesterday. Chevy has a tech note for excessive oil consumption. I have been dealing with issue for over a year now. The dealership refuses to honor the warranty that is associated with this known problem, They keep saying that this is normal and keep toping the oil, every time that low oil signal comes up, for the past 23K miles. now I have oil pressure warning. the oil level is full and no noise from the engine . any thoughts?
Old February 12th, 2013, 1:49 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> @cardiotrader, what has the oil consumption averaged out to per 2,000 miles? According to the information I have available, an accepted rate of oil consumption is 1 quart per 2,000 miles for a personal vehicle that’s driven in a non-aggressive manner and is maintained according to the maintenance schedule, and has less than 36,000 miles.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service assisting Louis

Old February 12th, 2013, 2:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cardiotrader
I started having the same problem yesterday. Chevy has a tech note for excessive oil consumption. I have been dealing with issue for over a year now. The dealership refuses to honor the warranty that is associated with this known problem, They keep saying that this is normal and keep toping the oil, every time that low oil signal comes up, for the past 23K miles. now I have oil pressure warning. the oil level is full and no noise from the engine . any thoughts?
Keep taking it back to them, or park it there till they fix it. Dealers are reimbursed from Chevrolet for warrenty work. Is the pcv valve plugged?
Old February 28th, 2016, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

I have the same problem with my tahoe oil pressure drop to cero and I do what you did turn off the engine and turn it back on and the oil pressure when back to 40 but after a few miles same probleme so I take the car to my mecanic and replace the oil pressure switch because the oil and filter was almost new. Same probleme we replaced the oil pump and the problem still happening.
I was wondering if you was able to get the problem fix and how if you did ?
Thank you for posting.
Old February 28th, 2016, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you guys don't mind my two cents... As a professional mechanic in an independent shop, I have ran across several oil pressure issues with the 4.8, 5.3 and the 6.0 GM engines.. Based on the description given in this thread, in2pro hit the nail on the head.. Under the oil pressure switch ( below it in it's mounting hole) is a plastic basket that is sealed with an o-ring and has a metal screen in the bottom of it. It's job is to prevent debris from entering the oil pressure switch. It can get dirty and stop oil from entering the switch and cause exactly what is being described here.. After removing the oil pressure switch, reach down into the hole with a small hook tool and lift the basket out, push a new one into the hole and reinstall the switch... I have also fixed some pressure issues by running the factory AC Delco oil filter.. They have a check valve in it designed to maintain oil pressure.. So the factory filters will maintain oil pressure when the aftermarket replacements will allow oil pressure to bleed off in the filter housing because they don't have that check valve in them. It is a minor bleed off but on a worn engine it is just enough to make a difference.

In some cases the factory oil filter has quieted the noisy lifter noise on a cold startup, but incases where it doesn't that can usually be quieted by replacing the oil pan gasket ( oil literally travels through orings in the pan gasket to get to the oil filter).. Then while you have the pan off go ahead and pull the oil pickup tube and replace the oring on it where goes into the oil pump.. Worn orings in the pan gasket and on the pickup tube allows air to enter the system and lets oil escape back into the pan so your engine has to reprime the oil pump and filter everytime it cold starts.. Resealing eliminates most of that and leads to a much quieter cold start and a lot less wear and tear on the engine.
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Victor Gonzalez
I have the same problem with my tahoe oil pressure drop to cero and I do what you did turn off the engine and turn it back on and the oil pressure when back to 40 but after a few miles same probleme so I take the car to my mecanic and replace the oil pressure switch because the oil and filter was almost new. Same probleme we replaced the oil pump and the problem still happening.
I was wondering if you was able to get the problem fix and how if you did ?
Thank you for posting.
Welcome to the forum, Victor!

Although we’re not able to provide any insight on how to repair this oil pressure drop concern, we’d be more than happy to bring this to the direct attention of your dealership for a diagnosis. They will be in the best position assess your Tahoe and determine what repairs will be necessary. If interested, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information and preferred dealership.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 1st, 2016, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

New to the Forum. I have exact same problem as BurbFan. '07 Suburban with 110k mi. First time it happened I drove car about 75mi with the warning alarm sounding. I changed the oil and filter and this seemed to solve the problem until today. Same problem. Low oil pressure 0-10 psi. Oil has about 1000 mi on it or 70% oil life remaining. If I rev up the motor pressure picks up enough to turn off warning. There has never been any engine noise, not even lifter ticking.
Old March 1st, 2016, 8:52 PM
CF Veteran

get a mechanical gauge on it and see if it reads the same

Quick Reply: 2007 Suburban 5.3L Oil Pressure Drops, Warning Sounds, Restart Engine, Back to Normal