Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 suburban blowing out white smoke at start up

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2014, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 suburban blowing out white smoke at start up

Just like title reads, after suburban sits for a bit it blows out a very nice size cloud of white smoke. Smoke only last a few seconds. We just bought this thing last year and have been having some oil consumption problems too. Not sure if both are related. Anyone have any clue what it could be. Thanks in advance.
Old May 16th, 2014, 1:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Blue smoke is burned oil. White smoke is burned coolant.

My guess would be a head gasket leak. Probably a small enough leak so as to not show up as white smoke all the time when the engine is running, but once the engine is off, it pools a little in one cylinder because the cooling system is still pressurized for a while after shutdown.

Do you regularly check the coolant level? Do you find yourself having to add coolant occasionally?
Old May 16th, 2014, 9:03 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

A cheap way to diagnose/temp. fix is to add some Bar's Stop Leak to the coolant. It is hard to do since they eliminated the radiator cap but could probably add by removing the upper hose.
Old May 17th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

maybe bar's stop leak is different. You can tell every car that has stop leak added to the system. All the coolant hoses are swelled, soft and have a oily film seeping through them. I would never want that stuff circulating in my cooling system. It could be a cheap fix but definitely a compromise.
Old May 17th, 2014, 6:01 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Never had any of those problems with it. I probably wouldn't use it on a newer truck though. All my uses were on older used cars when the kids were growing up.
Old May 19th, 2014, 3:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Bars is great stuff. Were these hoses on old cars that needed BARS? Everything on my last car(300k+ lumina) was swelled, I used BARS twice. I know the swelling was there BEFORE I added BARS.

my 2¢

Originally Posted by tech2
maybe bar's stop leak is different. You can tell every car that has stop leak added to the system. All the coolant hoses are swelled, soft and have a oily film seeping through them. I would never want that stuff circulating in my cooling system. It could be a cheap fix but definitely a compromise.
Old May 20th, 2014, 4:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check coolant. I agree sounds like you've got some getting into a cylinder.

however,

if the smoke smells like oil vs coolant, with your consumption issue, it could be oil seepage past the valve guides...
Old May 20th, 2014, 8:52 PM
cj1
CF Junior Member

Check coolant for exhaust gasses and VV. Personally an additive to fix a head gasket leak would be my last option.

Regarding the oil consumption, is this an AFM engine? If so search known problems on 2007 Suburban.
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Goat-v,

I’m sorry to hear of this concern that you experience when starting your Suburban. I am not properly trained to offer technical advice, but I will be glad to look further into your concern. Feel free to send us a private message referencing this thread if we can be of any extra assistance. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 21st, 2014, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

I'm in the process of getting it looked at. Will update once I hear back. Thanks for replies and insight.

Quick Reply: 2007 suburban blowing out white smoke at start up