Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 suburban blowing out white smoke at start up

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2014, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban smokin at startup.

First did your mechanic figure it out? I have the exact problem, even with the oil consumption. We are still waiting on the smoking issue. However it is NOT cooling problem, if it were it would over heat and lose water. The oil consumption is because of the engine turning off the cylinders and causing blow by. The oil then builds and bakes on rings not allowing them to expand back out. This becomes permanent and you have severe oil consumption. This can harm the engine but it hasn't yet. Chevy will not fix or recall this and warranty doesn't cover it because it isn't "BROKEN". Will get rid of the suburban as soon as we can. Good luck to ya'll.
Old October 8th, 2014, 3:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hooftracker
First did your mechanic figure it out? I have the exact problem, even with the oil consumption. We are still waiting on the smoking issue. However it is NOT cooling problem, if it were it would over heat and lose water. The oil consumption is because of the engine turning off the cylinders and causing blow by. The oil then builds and bakes on rings not allowing them to expand back out. This becomes permanent and you have severe oil consumption. This can harm the engine but it hasn't yet. Chevy will not fix or recall this and warranty doesn't cover it because it isn't "BROKEN". Will get rid of the suburban as soon as we can. Good luck to ya'll.
We definitely hate to hear you're planning to get rid of your Suburban, hooftracker. We certainly understand this has been a frustrating situation and want to apologize for your inconvenience. Please private message us your VIN, contact information, mileage and dealership name if we can offer our assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 9th, 2014, 3:28 AM
CF Beginner

I had a family friend that is familiar with these engines and issues put in some kind of diverter in the oil pan. I'm not exactly sure what he did to be honest but he said gm starting adding these in the 09's and newer. Mine was 07. Well 600 bucks later and still did same thing. He did say it may or may not help. He said mine needed the rings replaced at Minimum. Well after only having suburban for a yr and dumping way more than the 600 into we traded it in. I have always sold my vehicles my self so I don't get screwed on trade in but this suburban was smoking so bad I couldn't sell it to someone. 07 with 117k miles fully loaded got 14k trade in. Sad thing is I was happy about that. Traded it in a few weeks ago and got the wife acadia denali. Hopefully this thing will last over 100k. Not getting my hopes up to high though. Hope you can get yours fixed. Ask gm for assistance. Worst they can say is no. Good luck. By the way. Mine was smoking so bad after start up that it literally looked like something was on fire. To bystanders. Lol. Worthless vehicle.
Old October 9th, 2014, 9:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it only smoked on startup and it was bluish smoke, possibly bad valve seals?

Last edited by Typerod; October 9th, 2014 at 9:22 AM.
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default assistance

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
We definitely hate to hear you're planning to get rid of your Suburban, hooftracker. We certainly understand this has been a frustrating situation and want to apologize for your inconvenience. Please private message us your VIN, contact information, mileage and dealership name if we can offer our assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Amber N. How do I do that?
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey hooftraker,

In order to send us a private message you'll need to drill down on our name and you will see a selection for private messages. If you're having trouble sending us a private message, please feel free to send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A. (Assisting Amber)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem. No one can figure out where it is leaking. I smell oil every time I drive it especially after it's been sitting. My husband swears that he will never buy another Chevy because of all of the problems we've had with this one.
Old August 24th, 2017, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Goat-v,

I’m sorry to hear of this concern that you experience when starting your Suburban. I am not properly trained to offer technical advice, but I will be glad to look further into your concern. Feel free to send us a private message referencing this thread if we can be of any extra assistance. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Kristen I'm having the same problem with my 2007 surburban I have to change #7 spark plug every 1500 miles its down about 25 on compression compared to 1 3 and 5 cylinders and no I havent checked 2 4 6 8 because I was in a rush. I took it to the dealer when it was still under warranty and they said it was the valve cover but it looks identical to the one that's on my truck and it only has 106000 miles on it ive been a diehard gm guy my whole life and think gm should address this issue.