Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

White/Blue Smoke Upon Start Up!

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question White/Blue Smoke Upon Start Up!

I have 1993 Chevy Caprice LS with a 5.0 V8 EFI with 172,000 + miles
I use regular unleaded gas from Exxon and Kroger on a regular bases.
When I start my car, warm or cold, a puff of blue/white smoke comes out from my tailpipe. Sometimes it will come out again if I'm sitting at a red light or drive thru and continues to smoke for bout a mile or so then quits.
I'm thinking about putting some Lucas Fuel Cleaner Treatment in.
Does anyone know what the problem maybe and a way to treat it? Except for the smoke the car runs great!
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Bluish smoke is oil burning. How's the oil consumption? Any oily residue inside the tail pipe?
Old April 14th, 2011, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the welcome, EinST!
Car not using oil, just had it oil changed bout 2 months ago. I did change brands from Valvoline High Mileage to Castrol High Mileage. Oil level is great haven't had to add any oil. Residue in tailpipe is just black, no oily or wet residue. Just drove car bout 4 hrs ago, seems like it is getting worse.
Old April 14th, 2011, 5:21 PM
CF Veteran

Maybe the detergent additives in the new oil is dissolving whatever crud was acting as a seal. One thing it's not would be fuel.
Old April 14th, 2011, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Oh I see, so the high mileage oil may be doin more harm then good in this case. So u think it is my valve seals? If it's nothing to harmful to my motor, I'll jus drive it like it is till it blows up. Is there an additive I can add to stop or reduce the smoke? I have a brand new 350 waiting to drop in it, just a matter if finances at this moment. Again thanks for ur help and input.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Assuming it's not coolant (distinct sweet odor), it's probably valve seals if it smokes more when decelerating (have someone follow you?). Otherwise, maybe there's something going on in the intake. Higher viscosity oil or any additive that thickens oil would help but eventually bad things will happen like spark plugs getting fouled, ignition system getting stressed, oxygen sensors and catalytic converter getting fouled, etc.
Old April 15th, 2011, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help, one more thing. The heater hose that comes out from the back of the motor or firewall and up over the left valve cover and goes into the A/C. There is like a metal piece bout 3 to 4 inches long. It is leaking coolent at that metal piece in the hose. I heard that metal piece is like a valve that regulates the flow of coolant into the A/C. The hose itself is a dealer item that sells for about $150. I was wondering if I could cut that metal piece (valve) out of the hose and just put replace with another piece of hose?
Old April 15th, 2011, 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

If I'm getting it right, you have an A/C hose that's leaking refrigerant, at something that "regulates the flow" like an orifice tube, maybe? If so, it's an integral part of how the A/C system works and thus you don't want to do anything like that.
Old April 17th, 2011, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

I dnt think it's an A/C hose, it's leaking coolant rather than refrigerant. Wish I could post a picture.
Old April 18th, 2011, 6:04 PM
CF Veteran

Well, I haven't got the slightest, then. What did they say the P/N was?

Quick Reply: White/Blue Smoke Upon Start Up!