Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban LTZ, how to disable mirror turn signal

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban LTZ, how to disable mirror turn signal

yes i know the subject of this thread sounds funny and it really is what i want to do.. i've imported a suburban to switzerland where turn signals on the glass of the rear view mirrors are considered a distraction and therefore are not legal. to get the car past the initial inspection i need to disable this feature..

i found out that this is controlled by gmlan so it is probably not as easy as pulling a fuse on the fuse block..

want to be able to restore the feature after the inspection as i really like it and i personally think this is a plus for safety and not a distraction..

so i don't mind if by disabling this i temporarily lose the floor light and the power folding option but the mirror adjustment should keep on working if possible as this is certainly important and should they want to adjust the mirrors to do a test drive i would fail the inspection..

any ideas how to do this.. is there maybe a cable at the back of the mirror glass to unplug?

regards
pascal
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yes

remove the mirror, then just pull the cable. should lose turn signal, power / heated mirror and puddle lamps.

i'm guessing you start in the door (inside side) at the very front of the window, but I haven't taken mine apart, so I'm just guessing here...

here is an 02 door taken apart, i would guess the 07 is similar (but obviously not the same)

http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...move_brbn.html

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; May 6th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 6th, 2011, 1:36 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The problem w/ unplugging is it may upset the BCM. If it does, might cover the arrow w/ some chrome tape.
Old May 7th, 2011, 5:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your hints.. i opened the mirror (it can be easily opened by starting from the end that faces the car.. when you fold the mirrors in, the part that then points to the front is where you can start to open up the mirror to remove the forward facing chrome and plastic cover..
i then found a little 4-pin connector at the back of the mirror glass which obviously brings power for the turn signal and probably the heating or something like that.. so i simply unplugged that.. but i haven't checked what the BCM has to say about it.. will check that and get back to you later..

@shark.. tape is not much appreciated by our DMV's inspection guys but i thaught of this option too.. i think there is a module which is attached to the rear of the mirror glass which contains the indicator lights.. so in case the BCM is unhappy with my little operation i could plug it back in and put that chrome tape between the mirror and the lights .. this will probably please them

cheers
pascal