Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban not cranking after dead battery

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2009, 4:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Chevy website for warranty stuff the powertrain basically covers internally lubricated parts. The PCM is specifically listed as an exclusion for 2010 vehicles. I'm guessing that's all the same for 2007+ since that's when they went to this new warranty system.
Old September 12th, 2009, 7:41 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Since the computer actually controls the start function, my guess is that it's at best scrambled and at worst, Tango Uniform.
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Ok...my mechanic has been working on this with no luck. I really would hate to take this to the chevy stealership, but I'm thinking that might need to be my next step.

An idea popped into my head. Would it be worth subscribing to onstar for a diagnostic check? Does anyone have any experience with the kind of info this service provides. Will it detail exactly what is wrong with a particular system or will it just say "electrical malfuntion, take it to the dealer" kind of info? Pinpoint info might be able to help us figure this out.

Any info would be appreciated.

I do plan on calling the dealer tomorrow to see if the powertrain warranty will cover the electrical systems in the car. I'm not holding my breath but you never know

Last edited by silver911rdb; September 15th, 2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver911rdb
chevy stealership
LOL.

I bet the onstar just can read the codes the same as a code scanner, most autoshops will read them for free for you but I understand you need to drive it there to do that. Maybe they can loan you one if you leave a deposit.
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Mike's right.
Old September 18th, 2009, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

I wanted to get back to everyone with the final resolution. I had it towed to the local GM dealer. They said the body control module was fried. So a new(?) unit was installed and then programed. I picked it up today and it's running well. Total Bill was $600. Powertrain warranty does not cover these failures.

I put a question mark next to new because...when I approved the work I asked for any defective/replaced parts to be returned to me. When I picked up the car and asked for the BCM the service rep said they had to keep it as a core. I asked if it was a rebuilt unit and he said it was. Before I jump to any conclusions does anyone know if these units are rebuilt. I only ask because a day before I sent my suburban to this dealer I called the same dealer parts dept to get a price on a new BCM. They quoted me $366 for a new unit. I assumed new because he never mentioned it would be a rebuilt or would require me to bring in a core. I was charged $366 for the unit they installed in by sub.

Does anyone know if these units are sold rebuilt or do they come new?

Last edited by silver911rdb; September 18th, 2009 at 8:23 PM.
Old September 18th, 2009, 9:00 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear it wasnt under warranty but glad your up and running again. I can see them keeping the core for remanufacture, they probably would have charged you over $1000 to keep it. Shawnvw might know if they are new or reconditioned.
Old September 19th, 2009, 7:11 AM
CF Junior Member

GM's list price for a BCM is $469

<table class="tabletext" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="tabletext" style="border-top: 4px double rgb(0, 0, 153);" valign="top">Body control module, yukon xl, suburban
</td> <td class="tabletext" style="border-top: 4px double rgb(0, 0, 153);" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 07-09 </td> <td class="tabletext" style="border-top: 4px double rgb(0, 0, 153);" align="right" valign="top">$469.92</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old September 20th, 2009, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Snowjay! That makes me feel better.
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default electrical issues

Dont know for sure that this will resolve your problem, but I was having problems with the tire pressure monitor system, parking assist, Satellite radio, and Service airbag soon, Service 4wd soon, as well as intermittent operation of all of the power windows with the exception of the drivers window. I searched high and low and found a TSB# 07-08-49-018 dated Sept 07, 2007 that mentioned a few of these and led me to check the instrument panel (IP) wiring harness in the vicinity of the parking brake assy inside the vehicle. I located the specified harness today and found that there was at least one chafed wire. I used a flexible piece of 1/2 inch rubber mat to place between the parking assy and the harness. Seems to have fixed the issue, but will not know for sure until I drive the truck for a long distance as that is when I got all of the erroneous system warnings in the driver info center (DIC) but for now all of the windows are operating as they should. I think that the chafed wire was one of the communication lines for the body control module which could cause all of the issues. If GM repaired this issue at any service at the dealer, I'm sure we'd all be a lot happier with our vehicles!. HTH

Quick Reply: 2007 Suburban not cranking after dead battery