Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban Ticking Issue

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2012, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban Ticking Issue

OK, just realized I have some type of ticking issue with my Chevy. Not sure where to start looking though. It's a 5.3 V8, and it only ticks when hitting the gas while driving. It doesn't do it in park. Doesn't do it when pressing the gas while braking. Only does it when driving. I checked the oil and it seemed good. The transmission fluid seemed a bit low, but I've never heard of a transmission ticking. It sounds like lifters, but wouldn't lifters tick regardless of what gear I'm in?
Old April 26th, 2012, 9:18 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> cubsfan5150,

A possibility is the windshield side reveal moldings. The wind can cause them to move, generating noise. It could explain why you only hear it while driving. I offer this as a suggestion, not a diagnosis. Your certified technician should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis after physically inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 26th, 2012, 3:48 PM
CF Active Member

Posible exhaust leak at one of the manifolds.
Old April 26th, 2012, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

OK, the Suburban didn't act up most of the day, and then tonight it started doing it again. As far as I can tell, it's not missing at all. Had check engine light checked, but it's the same evap solenoid code as always. It only seems to be doing it at low speeds, like first and second gear.
Old April 27th, 2012, 8:46 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Can you have a passenger verify the sound and possibly help triangulate it...
Is it more prevalent when its hot or cold out?
Could it be a vibration that you are hearing as a ticking sound?

A trick my wife uses is to turn up the radio and she says the sounds go away
Old April 28th, 2012, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

It's been 90+ here recently, so I can't tell you if hot or cold matters. My wife heard it while sitting in the passenger seat. It's for sure an engine problem. Sounds just like running an engine low on oil.
Old April 30th, 2012, 6:56 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

cubsfan5150: Welcome to the forum.

Piston slap or loose torque convertor are other possibilities.