Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban - ticking/slight squeaking noise behind dash

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2012, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban - ticking/slight squeaking noise behind dash

it kinda sounds like a cd spinning noise - but it is only when the heat/ac is on.....so obviously makes me think a fan belt squeaking.......but can't hear anything under the hood.

It may be the sound coming through the vents? Sounds like it is right behind the dvd/radio

any ideas?
Old February 13th, 2012, 9:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> gamecock,

I'm sorry to hear of the problem with your Suburban. It may be possible that something is obstructing one of the ducts. I offer this as a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. A certified technician should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis after a physical inspection.

Please keep us up to date. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 13th, 2012, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gamecock
it kinda sounds like a cd spinning noise - but it is only when the heat/ac is on.....so obviously makes me think a fan belt squeaking.......but can't hear anything under the hood.

It may be the sound coming through the vents? Sounds like it is right behind the dvd/radio

any ideas?
If you have nav, try removing the nav disc and see if you still hear it. Mine was always accessing the disc and I always heard that sound although it didnt sound like a belt squeaking. Just a thought.
Old April 25th, 2012, 1:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Jkj860

Originally Posted by jkj860
If you have nav, try removing the nav disc and see if you still hear it. Mine was always accessing the disc and I always heard that sound although it didnt sound like a belt squeaking. Just a thought.
When you removed the nav DVD, did the noise stop? Did you reload it and then the issue resolve itself or did it continue? I am currently experiencing the same issue and any insight is appreciated.

My issue occurs when the vehicle is OFF. The DVD churns continuously like it is reading and loading.

Last edited by wicg0317; April 25th, 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added clarification of when it happens.
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

If it only makes the sound with the AC/Heat on then it could be the blower motor. The fan belts are always turning, it doesn't matter if the AC or heat are on or not.,
Old September 7th, 2012, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Humming in Dash like a CD spinning or motor running

I just got my 2009 Tahoe and it does have the navigation and screen in the dash. Well whether or not my truck is running there is a noise coming from behind the navigation screen. I popped the disc out to see if that stopped the noise and it did not. I had to put a new battery in yesterday and I think this may be the cause of it draining. Went out there in the middle of the night and it was still making the noise!! Anyone experience this problem before and I was wondering what it could be so that I can get it fixed!! Thanks.
Old September 9th, 2012, 7:22 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaTahoe
I just got my 2009 Tahoe and it does have the navigation and screen in the dash. Well whether or not my truck is running there is a noise coming from behind the navigation screen. I popped the disc out to see if that stopped the noise and it did not. I had to put a new battery in yesterday and I think this may be the cause of it draining. Went out there in the middle of the night and it was still making the noise!! Anyone experience this problem before and I was wondering what it could be so that I can get it fixed!! Thanks.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> FloridaTahoe,

It is normal for the radio/navigation unit fan to run for up to three minutes after the vehicle has been turned off and the driver's door has opened or closed.

The disc spinning sound is also normal operation. After the remote keyless entry is used to unlock the vehicle or when the driver's door has been opened. The noise will also be heard during vehicle operation up to three minutes after the vehicle has been turned off and the driver's door has been opened and closed.

I regards to the battery issue, you may want to consider consulting with a certified technician if this issue persists. They will be able to offer additional information after inspection.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 16th, 2014, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> FloridaTahoe,

It is normal for the radio/navigation unit fan to run for up to three minutes after the vehicle has been turned off and the driver's door has opened or closed.

The disc spinning sound is also normal operation. After the remote keyless entry is used to unlock the vehicle or when the driver's door has been opened. The noise will also be heard during vehicle operation up to three minutes after the vehicle has been turned off and the driver's door has been opened and closed.

I regards to the battery issue, you may want to consider consulting with a certified technician if this issue persists. They will be able to offer additional information after inspection.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Dear Louis,
Thanx for the informative post, i need some more tips from you related to the same topic of buzz sound behind the dashboard. You wrote previously that the sound of cd/nav unit is due to the fan on the unit, i need to verify it by disconneting the power of my cd/nav unit (suburban 2012). Please guide me how can i disconnect this unit in an easy and short way.

Thank you...
Old March 16th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

They finally had to replace my head unit due to the fan never shutting down and it sounded like a bearing going out.