Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban--What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2011, 8:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban--What do I need to know?

I'm the new owner of a 2007 Suburban K2500 3LT with the 6.0 engine. This is my second Suburban--I got over 200,000 miles out of the 1993 K1500 I traded in, and I'm hoping for similar results from the new one.

My biggest complaint with the '93 was that the 350 with throttle-body injection didn't seem to put out enough power to move that much weight, let alone tow anything heavy. So I specifically went looking for a 3/4 ton with the bigger engine. On that, I was right--it's got power to spare, and (like the old joke says) will pass anything except a gas station.

But the move from the '93 to the '07 has been like going from a DC3 to the space shuttle. I've never seen a 600-frickin'-page owner's manual before, I still haven't figured out how to program some of the features, and I'm mindful of the fact that the more gadgets it has the more there is to break. It was during an online search for answers I couldn't find in the manual that I found this forum. I've already gotten some excellent advice.

I'd like to ask a few questions of forum members with '07 and up Tahoes and Suburbans (and hopefully a few of you will have the 2500):

What do you like about it?
What do you hate about it?
And--most important--what problems have you had that you'd advise me to watch for?

Thanks!

1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL (Wife's)
1998 Mercedes Benz S420 (Wife's)
1995 Mercedes Benz C280 (Daughter's)

2007 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 3LT (MINE!)
Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

If you think the owner's manual is big, wait 'til you see the FSM. It's three volumes and each is at least two inches thick.
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great engine you have there. a guy in my area has a white one with aftermarket exhaust and it sounds amazing!

most of the problems with the 07 are cosmetic or can be fixed by a recall - dash may crack, exterior door handles may break, interior handles may have the chrome peel causing possible cuts on your hand, U Joint may need to be changed for the newer version...there are many more but I would suggest you going to your dealer and have them run the VIN to see what recalls/fixes have been performed already.

The only thing I dont like about the truck is the complete lack of storage areas or pockets other than just "anywhere on the floor" that my wife seems to like...

it is great and comfy on long road trips loaded down with people/stuff/dogs. gas mileage is expected from the size/weight/engine

Last edited by ousig2408; October 24th, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 6:59 PM
CF Active Member

Great choice of vehicles. I think my Suburban 2500 is the best Veh. i have owned in 36 years of driving. It has been in the shop once for a warranty related issue. It seems that the exhaust manifold bolts break off. Other then that i have had no issues. The 6.0 without the fuel mgmt. has tons of power.
Old October 24th, 2011, 8:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
If you think the owner's manual is big, wait 'til you see the FSM. It's three volumes and each is at least two inches thick.
Ouch. That explains why Helm wants 175 bucks, including tax and shipping. They must be selling it by the pound.

I think I might just sign up for ALLDATA diy instead. $13.95 for a year, same manual in PDF form, and I've already got the laptop sitting on the workbench.

1988 Mercedes Benz S420 (Wife's)

Old October 24th, 2011, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AllData is what a lot of shops use. It is a direct copy of factory manual.
Old October 24th, 2011, 9:10 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Check Ebay for service manuals on DVD, they seem to only cover up to 2009 models but they also can go back to the late 1980s too and all on the same DVD.
I got mine from Skinnyarch but he/she/they no longer have the listings but others come and go. The one I got is the factory manual on DVD. $35 or less

I do have an All DATA account setup for my wife mini-van as Dodge seems to be a lot tighter with their service manuals....
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Silveroak94,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Suburban. You will continue to find a lot of helpful information here. If you need anything, just ask.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old December 5th, 2011, 9:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Thanks for your responses!

Well, it's been four months and 5,000 miles, and so far no problems beyond what I've been warned about here on the forum. If the worst should happen I do have an extended warranty the seller threw in to make the sale--I bought it from a Ford dealer desperate to get it off his lot.

Ousig2408, the "anywhere on the floor" storage applies to my family as well. I'm building up a collection of umbrellas and blankets, and well as papers in the center console.

I'll look for TSB's on the u-joints and manifold bolts. And Breanne or Louis, I'll be in touch to see what can be done about the door handles, dash crack, and ****-poor radio reception. I'd rather try to set something up with you in advance before dropping in on my local dealer. I did register with chevrolet.com right after I bought it, and I'm impressed that they notified me that the windshield washer module recall has not been done yet.

1998 Mercedes Benz S420 (Wife's)

Old December 5th, 2011, 9:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Default 2007 suburban

in my 07 suburban, if i left the hazzard lights on or any lights on for a short time, the battery would go dead. it was not a short, it had something to do with the battery charged. computer program.

Quick Reply: 2007 Suburban--What do I need to know?