Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban won't move in gear after replacing rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2018, 12:10 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban won't move in gear after replacing rear main seal

I just replaced the rear main seal, rear plate gasket, and oil pan gasket (I had a pretty good oil leak going) on my 2007 Chevy Suburban LS 1500 4WD 5.3L (in the driveway with basic tools). After putting everything back together, I tried to drive it, only to discover the truck wouldn't move when in gear (the leak was gone though!). We did realize the torque converter was not seated all the way, so we took everything down again, sat it, and put it all together again. By everything, I am referring to the front and rear driveshaft, transfer case, transmission, and muffler "Y". I can feel (and hear, especially when "on" and not running) the truck shift into each gear, recognizing each one. The doors lock and unlock when in and out of P. It shifts backwards when placed in R, back forward (ish) when moved to N, little more forward shift when placed in D. There's just no movement when the accelerator is pressed. The engine revs and the rpms go up, but no actual movement.
-Yes, parking brake is off
-All gears have been slowly been shifted through when "on" and while running.
-The 4x4 selector shifts into each drive, and has been tested while "on" and while running.
-I've checked and double checked all the wiring to make sure nothing has been left unplugged, and it's all connected
-Fluids are good. I added some to the transfer case and checked the dipstick while the vehicle was running and warmed up
-There are no grinding, whining, whirring, or other abnormal noises
-No burning smells
-The rear tires have been lifted from the ground. While in the air, I've placed the truck in D and R to see if the tires and driveshaft spin. All do so by hand.

We did notice the front driveshaft would not spin when in any drive. I'm really hoping there's a simple reset to conduct, or I simply overlooked something easy while thinking something more severe is wrong. I've run out of ideas to try before swallowing my pride and have it towed to a local shop...
Old November 14th, 2019, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with mine

I had the same exact thing happen like to the T, I also burned up pump in transmission after not seating torque converter the first time, what did you ever find out and how did you fix yours?