Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe (Black) Paint Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe (Black) Paint Problems

I have had my black 2007 Tahoe for about 2.5 months now and really like it however, I am truly disapointed in the quality of the paint job. My Tahoe seems to scratch with the slightest touch.

I recently took it to a very repitable auto collision center to have a minor scratch buffed out on the door and he told me that the paint job was the worst he had ever seen ona new vehicle.

He said the paint was very uneven and was just covered in Orange Peel.

I always noticed the orange peel, but was unsure if anything could be done.

Anyideas or suggetstions would help.

Iam currently battling with my dealer over whether this should be taken care of under warranty.

Any others out there with the same issue

Thanks,

Ty
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2007 Tahoe (Black) Paint Problems

they should be able to help you refinsh you paint job. I wouldcontact Chevroletanyways, to inform them of your problem, I know they will fix you up.
Old April 24th, 2007, 2:29 AM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had trouble with paint jobs in the past and as long as it was under warranty, Chevrolet has always taken care of it. I even had a blackvehicle painted twice(ended up with orange peel) before I would accept it.
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do battle with your dealer, they only have the power to say "no".
Contact GM and have the Regional Service Manager look at it and see what can be done to make you happy, GM realizes that you spent a lot of money and believe it or not they want you pleased with your new Tahoe.
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have avoided the "bad" paint threads for a while. However, i do have to say I was never 100% impressed with the paint on my Tahoe! But, it was good enough that I didnt see a reason to complain. Keep in mind my Tahoe is white and doesnt show a lot of flaws as easily as a darker paint. I dont really see orange peel in mine or anything like that.

However, I just purchased my Fiance' a new BMW (white same as my Tahoe). I hand wash all my vehicles. I was amazed at the paint quality difference. The BMW has what seems to be more thick, durable, shinier, higher quality paint. An example is my Tahoe has very very tiny little circular rust spots throughout. I know most are going to say they are rock/debri chips, but they arent. They are very abnormal looking, like there isnt enough paint. They are not noticable and I only know about them because I am meticulous and see them when hand washing. I can promise you there is nothing similar on the BMW. It is just two entirely different paint qualities.

I probably never would have realized how poor my Tahoes paint job was until I compared to her car. Yes, I know, I am comparing apples to oranges, but I can tell you the sale price of each vehicle was similar!
Old April 25th, 2007, 1:44 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

My experience is that GM & Ford have super orange peel no matter what the price. []
Imports usually are much better. [:'(]
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shark, you are one of the members located nearest to me! You ready to buy my 24's? We might be moving into a more rural area the will require driving on Gravel []! If we do I will have to go back to 20's.
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

No thanks. If I do anything, it'll be to get my 20s chromed.

Gravel? [:'(] Grew up having to drive two miles to hard surface roads and would strongly recommend getting some of that 3M film to put on the bottom 8"-10" of the body. Even with boards and flaps, you'll still get rocks past them, especially when you meet someone going the other way. Also get a California Duster if you don't already have one.
Old April 26th, 2007, 3:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our Nissan 350Z had horrible orange peel so I wouldn't say that imports are better. It also has very soft paint so the front end acts like a rock magnet.
Old April 26th, 2007, 4:55 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: 73shark

No thanks. If I do anything, it'll be to get my 20s chromed.

Gravel? [:'(] Grew up having to drive two miles to hard surface roads and would strongly recommend getting some of that 3M film to put on the bottom 8"-10" of the body. Even with boards and flaps, you'll still get rocks past them, especially when you meet someone going the other way. Also get a California Duster if you don't already have one.
Yeah man, gravel sucks big time with the OEM 20's. My tires pick up 3/4 inch stone/gravel all the time, and then when I hit the streets all I can hear is the stone tapping on the road untill I get her up to highway speeds, and then I hear PING along side the body of my truck..

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe (Black) Paint Problems