Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe Bose Speaker Question???

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tahoe Bose Speaker Question???

ORIGINAL: biglg

First, how would the bose speakers sound worse than the non bose speakers in a 2007 tahoe? Especially with a lower Ohm rating, in turn creating higher volume output of the limited power of the HU. Am I wrong? If your statement is true then simply replacing any factory speaker with any aftermarket speakerwhile using thefactory providedpower would decrease sound quality? For instance, use the stock radio in a 2007 Non Bose Tahoe and put in some Kenwood 6.5's would sound worse than the factory 6.5's?
big - they wouldnt sound good because the OEM bose speakers are meant to be amplified by the OEM bose amp. The amp and speakers are tuned together to bring the best out in each other where as the non bose speakers are just ur typical OEM car speaker.

most of the time the new speakers will sound better because they usually have a tweeter built in the middle (which is called a coaxial speaker or a pointsource speaker)They alsohave a different frequency response than the OEM speakers.
Old February 11th, 2008, 1:22 PM
davemec

Well see the Bose amp is provided to power the Bose speakers. So you think the non-Bose head unit alone will power the Bose speakers just fine? No matter how much you charge it is not a good deal if they are not going to sound good in the buyers setup. A decent pair of Infinity speakers can be bought brand new for $50. But as I stated already you would still need an amp or new head unit to give them enough power. Obviously you just wanted people to agree with you so that you could make a sale.
Old February 11th, 2008, 5:41 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As i mentioned I am not worried about $20-30 I am going to get rich off of by selling the 2 sets of Bose speakers. I wanted to make sure that if somoene bought them they would work. Honestly, i could have just sold them and not cared whether they worked or not.

But thanks for your input as you seemed to have answered my original question as to whether they would work in a non bose tahoe.

I will just dispose of them like i have all my other factory speakers, in the trash!
Old February 12th, 2008, 8:48 AM
davemec

Why not save them, then if you ever go to trade in the Tahoe, you can take out the good set that you are buying now and put the factory ones back in.
Old February 12th, 2008, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hey, guys

I have the BOSE 9 speaker system in my Tahoe. I am leaving them in because the BOSE system is a matched system. When BOSE created the system for the truck, they always use there spatial technology to match the sound to the listener. In my opinion they use cheap speakers, but it is their electronics that compensates for the lack of quality speakers. The amp they use is operating under a two ohm load, meaning all their speakers in the truck are probably rated for 2 ohms to 4 ohms anyways. I do not see a problem with adding aftermarket speakers as long as they will handle a 2 ohm power output from the amp

Take for example after market car amps, they normally run at a 4 ohm loadwith speakers rated between 4 to 6 ohms. The amp has an output for four speakers.

I later decide to add a 4 ohm tweeter to both of the front 4 ohm speakers and connect them with the front speaker wiring.

If I take the tweeter wiring and connect the + lead of the tweeter to the + lead of the exsisting speaker and wiring and then the negative - wiring to the negative speaker and exsisting wiring, then I would have created a two ohm load for the amp to run the front speakers. That is called parallel wiring. It would cause the amp to have to power the front speakers at a2 ohm load and the rear speakers to run at a 4 ohm load, unless I do the same for the two rear speakers.

This wouldcause an imbalance to the amps power ouput circuitry. Now, if I did the same for the rear speakers and added tweeters to the rear speakers with the same ohm ratings the the amp would have a balanced output for both left and right output channels( front-rear). Then the amp would run totally under a two ohm load.

Some aftermarket amps are rated for 2 ohm load operation and some aftermarket amps are not. If you use an amp not rating for 2 ohm load operation, then you are asking the amp to output more power than it is rated for and the amp willheat up and the transistors (MOSFET Ususally) will burn up.

This also applies to the speakers. If you have a speaker rated for 4 ohms and you put a 2 ohm power connection to it, that means there will be more electrical current flowing through the voice coil of the speaker and depending on the thickness of the coil windings, the speaker will either handle it or burn up. Most aftermarket car speakers are rated 4 ohms.

The example above was an example of parallel wiring of your speakers. Now lets talk about the series wiring of the those speakers.

If you took the same four speakers and added tweeters to them and this time instead of connecting the tweeter + lead to the exsisting speaker wiring + lead, you connect it to the negative - lead and then you take the tweeter negative - lead and connect it to the exsisting speaker wiring + lead then you will have created a series connection and cause the amp to run cooler for the front ouputs, but this is still can imbalance, unless you do the same for the rear. Now you have caused the amp to run cooler on the front ouputs and the rear are normal. It will take you to crank up the volume more in order to be able to listen to the front speakers compared to the rear.

Crutchfield has alot of this information on their website.

The BOSE system maybe a four channel system. One channel for the two front speakers with the front pillar tweeters connected with the two front door speakers, second channel for the rear door speakers, third channel for the rear cargo area speakers and the fourth for the subwoofer. I say the subwoofer probably runs both left and right channels since it is a dual voice coil speaker. You may try to get more info from BOSE, but I haven't tried yet.

Here is a diagram:

Paralell connection (divide)

Speaker 14ohm Speaker 2 4ohm
+--------------------+------------------- = 2 ohm load for the amp
_--------------------_-------------------

Series (add)

Speaker 1 4ohm Speaker 2 4ohm
+--------------------_--------------------= 8 ohm load for the amp

_--------------------+--------------------

I hope this helps.
Old February 12th, 2008, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

One more thing, just to make the diagram complete

Speaker 1 4 ohm
+------------------ = 4 ohm load for the amp, which is what most carampsare rated for
_------------------

If youreplace the BOSE speaker with a 4 ohm speaker, it should work just fine if it can handle the current. You may have to crank it up a little more on the volume **** other than normal because the increased resistance of the new speaker, but it should have a better capable frequency band than the BOSE speaker. If you were to replace the speakers, then replace them all.You will have to find out if some of the speakers are either connected together by wiring or internally connected together through circuitry inside the amp. If this is proprietary, then it is probably connected internally.

Old February 12th, 2008, 3:24 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bglg
This also applies to the speakers. If you have a speaker rated for 4 ohms and you put a 2 ohm power connection to it, that means there will be more electrical current flowing through the voice coil of the speaker and depending on the thickness of the coil windings, the speaker will either handle it or burn up. Most aftermarket car speakers are rated 4 ohms.

You're close:

The speakers decide the ohm rating not the amp though, ie: A 2-ohm speaker is just that, there is no such thing as a 2-ohm amp.
Some amps are stable down to 1-ohm some 2-ohm some 4-ohm and so on, if you use an amp that is only stable down to 4-ohm to power a pair of 2-ohm speakers it could overheat and fry.

I think your analogy of BOSE speaker system is pretty accurate though.

One other thing is that if you were to replace a set of OEM 6.5" door speakers in a non-BOSE equipped with a set of BOSE speakers the sound will be poor, the BOSE 6.5" door speaker is simply a mid-woofer, it does not reproduce low bass notes well at all and since this speaker is utilized in conjunction with a sub-woofer it doesn't have to.

I have a 2007 Silverado Reg Cab (non-BOSE), I simply replaced the Door speekers with a set of efficient (93db) 4-ohm 6.5" Hertz coax speakers and some 4X6" Polk (with a 200uf cap) in the rear, I use the OEM head unit power and it sounds very good and gets louder then the stock speakers.
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Okay, Let me re phrase it

This also applies to the speakers. If you havespeakers rated for 4 ohms and connect them in parallel, creatinga 2 ohm load connection,there will be more electrical current flowing through the voice coil of the speakers and depending on the thickness of the coil windings, the speaker will either handle it or burn up. Most aftermarket car speakers are rated 4 ohms.

Old February 15th, 2008, 1:49 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bglg

Okay, Let me re phrase it

This also applies to the speakers. If you havespeakers rated for 4 ohms and connect them in parallel, creatinga 2 ohm load connection,there will be more electrical current flowing through the voice coil of the speakers and depending on the thickness of the coil windings, the speaker will either handle it or burn up. Most aftermarket car speakers are rated 4 ohms.

Landon,
You are correct except that the 2-ohm load is placed on the amplifier, so if the amp cannot handle the increase in current and reduced impedence the amp is at risk of blowing not the speakers.
Old February 15th, 2008, 2:10 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,
That wasnt me! That was an imposter trying to mock my screen name!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe Bose Speaker Question???