Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 TAHOE FACTORY AND AFTERMARKET TINT ???

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2006, 3:52 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007 TAHOE FACTORY AND AFTERMARKET TINT ???

What is the facory tint specs on the front two doors, and the rest of the rear of the tahoe? Is it 35% front, and 20% rear? Or 50% front, 35% rear?

I want to tint all the windows but still be able to see out the sides and rear of the vehicle. I am thinking about putting on 35% front two, and 20% on all the rear windows. What does everything think? Any pictures of anyone who has this combination?

Lastly, on ebay there are complete 2007 tahoe tint kits for around $25+14 S&H. Has anyone tried these kits? They are all precut. I was just wondering how much of a challenge it would be to get the tint put on and look like it was professionally done? Thanks, Landon.
Old October 11th, 2006, 4:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 TAHOE FACTORY AND AFTERMARKET TINT ???

I just had the front two windows tinted, it cost me 60 bux.. I went as dark as legally could in Texas(which I dont know the actual percentage). From the outside its a little lighter then the rear, but looks good. On the inside however, the aftermarket stuff looks to have a greenish tint to it whereas the factory has a bluish tint.

Doesnt really bother me but kinda surprising...I thought tint was tint..but apparently not..
Old October 11th, 2006, 4:25 PM
CF Addict

Thanks for the reply. I have had all of my vehicles tinted in the past. However the factory tint on the tahoe is darker than any other vehicle I have had. I would like to tint all the windows darker, I just want to make sure I know the percentage that is on the vehicle from the factory before i pay to have the windows tinted darket and it turns out to dark and is difficult to see out the rear of the vehicle.

Thanks again for the repsonse!
Old October 11th, 2006, 5:02 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory tint specs on the 07 Tahoe are 70% front (windscreen as well) and the rear is 16%.
Old October 11th, 2006, 5:31 PM
CF Active Member

I've got 35 on my front 2 windows and they match the factory tint on the back two pretty good. It's pretty hard to see in unless my sunroof is open on a sunny day.

~digdug
Old October 11th, 2006, 6:15 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah, I had the front done 35, along with the rest of the vehicle.. I had them tint over the factory and it is dark!!!! Can't see inside unless the sunroof is open and the windows rolled down....see thru the rear window. You can go darker for the driver and passenger windows, just don't get caught. Here in Texas, the DPS will cut an huge X in your tint. Here they have a device they put on the window to let them now percentage of light going thru. By the way I went with factory tint...just b/c I wanted to get it down before I took it home.

DarkOne
Old October 11th, 2006, 6:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave:

I'm a little shocked at your response. I live in Michigan and from my knowledge it is illegal to have any tint on your front driver side and passenger windows below 5 inches from the top of the window. I very well could be mis-informed on the law, but I know most tint places in my neck of the woods won't touch a driver/passenger door. I've added 5% to all my rear windows, I think it looks sweet. It would be a pain to back up without the reverse camera, but with the camera you can back up with ease.

Jason
Old October 11th, 2006, 6:35 PM
CF Addict

Thanks for the info Dave, that is exactly what I wanted to know. What is your source for all of your knowledge or answers on here?

Jasonw75, I live in Missouri and the law here is that anything driver shoulders forward has to be 35% or lighter. Of course you can not put tint on your front windshield except a brow which i believe can go down a certain number of inches!
Old October 11th, 2006, 6:47 PM
CF Active Member

Yes for the brow, if you look at the top of the winshield there is a mark with I think a T w/ ATS under it. You are not allowed to go any further below that line across. Laws differ of course in different states but for the majority it is 35 and for the rear dark as you want with the exception of passenger cars with 4 doors of a quarter window. They have to be legal 35. The reason you see a lot of SUV dark is b/c most of them come with factory tint in the window then they apply another film on top of that to make it darker.

Old October 11th, 2006, 8:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: biglg

Thanks for the info Dave, that is exactly what I wanted to know. What is your source for all of your knowledge or answers on here?
Let's just say that; some of you are enjoying some of my handiwork in regards to your GMT800 and 900 series trucks and leave it at that.

Jason,
Federal law allows for up to 70% visible light transmission (VLT) on the front windows and windscreen. Up until about 5-10 years ago GM would just barely tint the glass (97%) and on some of the least expensive models they would use no tint at all.
Over the years there have been a few changes in things like Air Conditioning were the industry has been forced from R12 and into R134a Freon, the current Freon and A/C units are not nearly as effective at cooling the interior as the old R12 systems so we now use a little darker tint to help compensate for this shortcoming, you’ll notice that 70% is still very light but it does block out a good portion of sunlight causing heat and damaging UV rays.

You can check the markings on your glass, the VLT % is clearly labeled on each piece.

Quick Reply: 2007 TAHOE FACTORY AND AFTERMARKET TINT ???