Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe LTZ Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2012 | 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoe LTZ Grinding noise

My wife said one day that the transmition was going, there was loss of power and a "huge" grinding noise. The vehicle lost power and failed to accelerate normally. I drove it and could not replicate the problem. She had it happen again, so we had it towed to dealer, as it was at 96k so figured under warranty. After spending 4 days and $100 was told could not replicate the issue so nothing for them to fix.
I drove it yesterday now over 100k and heard it firsthand. Vehicle was in 2wd (as I thought maybe it was the auto 4wheel drive so we have left it in 2wd) and as I was making left into driveway at low rate of speed heard the thud and then metal grinding. Felt vibration on gas peddles and experienced loss of power. It was so loud, the grinding I was expecting to see metal on our pavement but none was found. <O></O>
Let sit overnight and put in reverse this morning made loud thud and grinding again. Got put into drive and stopped. This has happened about 6 times in last 4 months and has done it going into reverse as well as when vehicle is traveling straight on road below 10mph. <O></O>
Any ideas? We had the transmission worked on once before but the dealer says unless I can replicate the problem they won't know what to work on.<O></O>
I want it fixed as I believe it should be covered as I informed them well before the 100k. <O></O>
Sorry for the long post, appreciate any thoughts. <O></O>
Old July 30th, 2012 | 6:53 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say you have a good case for them to fix once they see the problem first hand since you reported while still under warranty.
Old August 15th, 2012 | 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update transmission failure

So, it was the transmission that went out last night (no park and no reverse)... @102k miles. Was on the phone with GM all morning about honoring warranty (extended was over earlier see post) and they told me to have it towed into dealer so they can verify the problem. Spoke first to gentleman who answered phone then asked for a supervisor which was more helpful. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Said they will cover initial inspection as I had it in the dealer before and they could not "replicate" the problem. <o></o>
I really hope that they honor the warranty as I tried to have them work on it before it expired.<o></o>
I am about to buy 8 more cars from them for a promotion I am doing but if they don't honor the warranty I will get cars from another manufacturer. <o></o>
I'll keep you posted but I hope they do the right thing. <o></o>
Old August 16th, 2012 | 2:49 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> eclarsen,

Please keep us posted.

Please feel free to PM me if needed.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 9th, 2012 | 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoe LTZ Grinding Noise and Transmission issues

Louis,

Im having the exact same problem on my 2007 Tahoe LTZ. Any idea what the root cause is? Mine started a month ago (124K miles) and with no help or diagnosis from the Dealer. They could not replicate with keeping it for 5 business days.

Any assistance with this would be a huge help.

P.S my wife said that the last time this happened that the 2WD and 4HI lights were flashing on the 4WD selector switch.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> eclarsen,

Please keep us posted.

Please feel free to PM me if needed.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 10th, 2012 | 7:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Could be your transfer case. I had the same problem with my '05 silverado. Good luck.
Old October 10th, 2012 | 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pegrizz
Could be your transfer case. I had the same problem with my '05 silverado. Good luck.
Thanks Pegrizz,

Thats what im hoping and thinking as it would be a cheaper fix but im very interested in what was the overall solution for Eclarsen's same issue.

Thanks for your comment.
Old October 10th, 2012 | 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pegrizz
By the way, what did you have to replace on your transfercase? Did u take it to the dealer or did you perform the work yourself?
Old October 11th, 2012 | 5:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Took it to a local mechanic who replaced the transfer case and actuator. Are you coming up with any warnings? Forgot to mention, my back brakes broke off inside the drum, that made a bad grinding noise first.
Old October 12th, 2012 | 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

No warnings at all. Wow, replaced the entire transfer case. Sorry to hear it. Well this really sucks that these trucks are not throwing any codes. With all these advances in Electronics and all the sensors on it, you would imagine that it would warn you if something catastrophic was wrong(as in eclarsen's case or mine that our symptoms that don't throw codes are the precursor of replacing the entire Transmission). I was thinking about just trading in this Tahoe for a Ford Flex.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe LTZ Grinding noise