Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe LTZ Lemon Buy Back

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2007, 10:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe LTZ Lemon Buy Back

This is a post I hate to write...

About10 months ago my Tahoe started randomly not starting. Like there was no battery in the truck. Not even the starter would click.
GM warranty towed it for me from my home to the nearest dealer. The next day it started up fine, they couldn't find anything wrong.
They demonstrated to me that the vehicle could be started, stopped. Left alone, then started again.

We took it out that same evening, after a friend's party, the Tahoe once again was dead as a door nail. We caught a ride home and the next morning I called GM warranty again.
This time it was towed to a different dealer since we were in a different location.

This time they couldn't get it started. They actually had to replace the whole BCM. I didn't have my truck for atleast two weeks because they had to order the new BCM.
In the end, the technician found that a relay located near the spare tire had gone out. This relay effected the entire vehicle.

Since then I haven't had a problem. For the past10 months. No problem. Except having to get the keyless entry remotes reprogrammed two months ago.

I drive the Tahoe almost daily.

Yesterday we drove the Tahoe all day. Had lunch, shopped for the kids, took them to the movies. Got home, parked in the garage, tucked the Tahoe in for a night's sleep.

Thismorning I go to warm it up... NOTHING. Dead as a door nail. Had to manually unlock the doors. No internal lights. Turn the key... nothing. No starter click.

Tommorrow morning I'm going to have to call GM warranty.

Its going to be towed from my home to the dealer that told me nothing was wrong.

I really don't need this headache. This 07 Tahoe has 15,000 miles on it. I've had it for 15 months now. This will be the 3rd time its needing to be towed in.

How can I trust this vehicle now when we are on vacation or traveling far from home? This is our family vehicle.

$54,791.50 paid for an unreliable vehicle.
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2007 Tahoe LTZ Lemon Buy Back

that sucks. i hate dealing with the dealership. stick it to the man and make them give u a brand new one.
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get us posted on your Dealers response to your problem. Good Luck
Old November 19th, 2007, 9:12 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it that this problem is not setting and DTC's as it appears that your dealer is just shooting in the dark.
No Crank/No Start is most often an easy repair and has nothing to do with a BCM (Body Control Module).

When the Tahoe will not start try pushing the Lock or Unlock button on the remote key fob, if the Tahoe will then start have the dealer replace the starter relay.

If that doesn't solve the issue then:
Have the dealer replace the GM High Speed Lan terminating resistor with GM part number: 88988999
90% of the time this cures the problem.
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:58 AM
CF Junior Member

I just got done taking the 24's off my truck. I've been meaning to, since winter will hopefully come to Arizona soon.
The Tahoe is still totally unresponsive.

ZX - I just read your post and tried the lock/unlock on the fob. Nothing.

Is the GM High Speed Lan resistor located near the spare tire?
Could this be what the tech mentioned when he told me a relay in the rear, near the spare tire went out?

I'm just wondering if the solution you mention is what got my Tahoe running 10 months ago and is now out again.

If so, I'd hate to be in this same situation 10 months from now. When my Tahoe has25 months and 30,000 miles on it.

I'm waiting for a call back from the dealer I bought it from in Albuquerque. I live just over the border in Arizona.

I want to talk to them before I call GM warranty.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old November 19th, 2007, 4:29 PM
CF Addict

The GM lAN terminal resistor is located just above the spare tire, and if it was replaced and the Tahoe started OK for 10 months then there is a chance that it is faulty.
Although it is not common for this part to fail it is built by humans and it can happen, for instance; I once replaced a fuel pump and within a week the new one quit working too, I replaced it again and never had another problem.
Trust me if replacing this resistor fix's the issue it would be to your benefit as going thru an arbitration (buy back) process can be time consuming and frustrating.
Old November 19th, 2007, 5:49 PM
CF Junior Member

An update for you guys:

I called the dealer I bought it from. The Service Manager was helpful there.
He advised Lemon laws applied until the 4th time something happens.
He said I could call GM and apply for a buy back, but it would probably be denied since this the 3rd time.
He said if I did it would get extra attention from GM.

He advised me to call GM warranty as it is GM's policy to tow it to the nearest dealer.
The nearest dealer is not my dealer.

So I called GM and they had it towed in.

I just called for an update and the Service Manager at this dealership said the battery failed thier test, so they had to put in a new battery and it started right up.
They are going to keep it overnight and see if it cold starts in the morning.

Sounds like the battery died. We'll see. Seems like a short life on that battery then.

In addition to everything stock electrical, I do have a overhead Audiovox DVD player the dealer installed for free. But it doesn't work unless the vehicle is on.
I also have a Passport radar detector. But I don't leave itplugged in.
I did haveHID lows and fogs installed. Don't HIDs run at lower wattage?

Thanks for the info ZX... sounds like that is probably what was replaced last time as I remember the tech saying something about the "rear" and "near the spare tire" and "relay" or maybe he said "resistor".
Old November 19th, 2007, 6:57 PM
CF Addict

Checking the battery for a no-start condition is kind of like checking for a flat tire after a blow-out.
I kind of thought that would have been the first thing done without saying so.

Oh well; at least now you can feel good about your purchase once again.
Old November 19th, 2007, 7:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through this for almost a year. JAN 06- Oct 07

They replaced the relay in the back and it happened again and again. we tried many things. I had the HVAC reprogram done and it went away. I can't say why exactly but have them check your vehicle for eligible updates. The HVAC was that last of over 7 dead battery problems. By the way one of which resulted in a bettery replacement as well.

Something drained your battery. Now it's dead. Replace the battery, that'll fix it?!?!?

Good luck
Old November 19th, 2007, 9:21 PM
CF Junior Member

ZX - So you're saying I should have checked the battery? .... I looked at jumping the Tahoe with my wife's little lexus but the cars are parked side by side in the garage, hers on the left, mine on the right, and the batteries were on opposite sides furthest away. The battery wasn't the problem the last couple times. Maybe I could have pulled the battery out, but the nearest place to get it tested is 40 miles away. Then drop $60 for a new battery that shouldn't be dead in the first place? If it had over 50,000 miles and it was over3 years old, then I'd be more convinced the battery was dead, ... not on a new truck.

tahoe07 - glad to hear I'm not the only one in this fix, but sorry to hear you had problems as well.

GM warranty and the 1st Service Manager suggested that the battery may be dead, but I politely explained that I doubt it because these are the same symptoms as before and battery wasn't a problem then.
When I got the update that a new battery started it, I did feel like an ***, but I still posted an update.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe LTZ Lemon Buy Back