Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe LTZ Lemon Buy Back

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2008, 9:32 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tahoe LTZ Lemon Buy Back

[sm=exactly.gif]

If your service guy at the dealer hasn't heard of parasitic current, then it's definitely time to find someone else (another dealer) to look at it.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Issues

Hello ZX,

3 monthspurchased a 2007 Tahoe LTZ (new off the lot) with the full DVD/NAV/Rear Ent. System and am also having crazy problems with it.

The first day I got it home I was inside and playing with the sound system (key off) and after about 25 mins the battery died. I assumed it was because the vehicle had been sitting on the lot since August and likey did not have a full charge so I boosted it and it ran fine for a while. Then while the vehicle was sitting on a ferry for 2 hours it died again and I had to get it boosted to get off the ferry.

The dealer has done a check on the battery and it showed that the battery good but needed a charge which they thought was unual and they agreed to replace the battey. My question on this issue is, do you know if it is possible to add a second battery to the unit (there is a spot for a second battery as part of a trailer add-on) and if so, what part number needs to be ordered to tie it into the existing harness.

Another issue I have been having is with the DVD/NAV unit. Frequently now the NAV unti goes brain dead and states it is checking the NAV disc and while it does this you cannot do anything with it. One time it lasted the entire day or it tells you to insert a disc but won't let you eject the disc that is in it. Sometimes it does this for a few hours or it can fix itself if I park the vehicle and come back to it in about an hour.

Recently I was on a road trip and the NAV system stopped while driving, it basically froze and then when I tried to change things like radio stations or audio sources it took up to 60 seconds for the system to change the screen. Two hours later it just started working again.

Any idea what this might be?
Old April 14th, 2008, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Battery Issues

Welcome to the Tahoe forum.

On the battery question, yes a second one can be added. Search this forum for discussion of this. There's a TSB on the battery rundown issue which requires a SW update. Since your's is a new 2007, there's a good chance that it may not have had it done. There's a sticky at the top of the forum dealing with TSBs and other upgrade issues.

I'll let Dave weigh in on the other issues. Might PM him in case he doesn't see this as it's an old thread.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

My daughter drives the 07 Tahoe, and one time her navigation system started acting funny.
I ejected the dvd nav disc, it had some kind of haze on the disc. I wiped the disc clean
and put it back, and no more problems.

On your battery, first off batteries do not like to sit unused. I wouldsuggest putting
a battery charger on your battery for 24 hours. Deep charges bring back some life to
batteries. Vehicles today have lots of lights, and electronics, which can discharge
batteries quickly. Your alternator quickly recharges the battery, not deep charge.
Old April 15th, 2008, 5:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Hello all,

I did get a PM from Dave regarding the TSB for the battery rundown issue. He also mentioned the issue around the NAV Disc possibly being damaged. It is the new disc that came with the vehicle and has not been out, so I don't think scratches are the issue.

My Tahoe is at the dealer now, they are supposed to be installing a new battery under warranty are are looking at the SW update as well. I also asked them to look at the low volume SW update too.

They are going to do some tests on the DVD NAV unit with no clear solution at this time.

Dave I get the impression you have some affiliation with GM if so, can you suggest a USB port for the audio system for playing MP3's and video's rather than burning MP3 discs all the time. You can store a lot of music/video data on a 32GB USB drive.

--Bruce
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruce,
I'm not aware of a USB to 3.5mm jack adapter interface that will work to play music from a simple flash drive memory device, the problem is that the OEM stereo cannot read raw digital MP3 data from a device via the 3.5mm auxiliary input plug, this data needs to be converted to an audio signal by an MP3 player.
The CD portion of the unit can read MP3 files though which makes it a bit confusing.

I use a small Samsung 4GB MP3 player and plug it into the jack on the front of the stereo, my wife has a 60gb Ipod and my kid uses a PSP with a video adapter that allows her to plug into the rear entertainment system to watch movies or play audio, she has a dozen or so 4gb memory sticks for the thing with media loaded.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Sorry Dave, I meant if you have some influence with GM perhaps you could suggest to them that they consider providing a USB port in the next design that does tie into the audio system.

No word on the Tahoe yet, they kept it overnight :-(

Is that your picture of the San Diego bay on Google Earth?
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Default MP3 & Cellphone

Okay now I feel bad as this is not on topic but as a quick follow-up to Dave's MP3 player comments.

I use a Blackberry Peal for my cellphone (which as a 3.5mm audio out) and have installed the 4GB micro SD memory card. So I get 4GB of mp3's through the AUX jack and discovered I also get a hands free phone setup through the stereo that automatically mutes the tunes and rings through the stereo as a call comes in (the Blackberry does this).

The mic on the phone handles the voice in and the AUX jack broadcasts the caller over the audio system just like the onstar phone.

Only drawback to the Blackberry I have found is that I get a lot of electrical popsthrough the systemwhen it advances tracks, which I don't recall getting with an iPod Touch.

Thought it was pretty good and elminates using the OnStar phone/minute sharing if you like.

--Bruce
Old April 16th, 2008, 3:36 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MP3 & Cellphone

Bruce,
I got you on the USB plug, we should see it in the next couple of years although none of it's my doing.
Not my photo of the bay.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: MP3 & Cellphone

Hey Dave et al,

Got my LTZ back today after 30 hours at the dealer. They replaced the original battery, after testing it, with a new Professional Series 78-7YR 770 CCA battery. Hopefully that will resolve my dead battery issue.

I mentioned the BCM run down SW upgrade too but it looks like the dealer did not do this.

Also they confirm the NAV head unit is defective and have ordered a new one in for me, so she goes back in for service in a week :-(

Next item for me is going to be the XM radio as my 3 month trial is coming to an end.

--Bruce

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe LTZ Lemon Buy Back