Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe OEM water pump discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2016, 3:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe OEM water pump discontinued?

Hi all,

I was bored at work and just started pricing items for my 07 Tahoe, and I went to see how much the water pump would be, and I see that on GMpartsdirect that the part is discontinued. The part number I am talking about is, 12600767. Not sure if that means there is an updated part number. I do see them available on rockauto and ebay. If there is no updated part number, why would this part be discontinued? I thought there was a federal law that said the manufacturer must provide/manufacture replacement parts for a certain period of time after that particular car/model has been made. I don't know the exact details of that law.

I was just curious that's all, I dont need to replace mine. With my Acura I do replace the water pump and timing belt every 90K, and I also wondered why is it that there wasn't a GM suggested time frame to change this vital piece of the coolant system.
Old January 11th, 2016, 7:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

...because on any interference timing belt system; if the w/p or any idler or tensioner fails the engine is written off...and you won't get a warning...snap...new engine.

if the water pump fails on the gm the valves don't crash into the pistons...the temp warning light comes on, the overheat failsafe programming initiates and "hopefully" you pull over and shut off the engine....the engine survives.

I find it hard to believe gm does not sell a wp for this engine.

my 2000 sierra is on it original water pump and I have 359 000 kilometers. Why replace it, it still works?

Last edited by tech2; January 11th, 2016 at 7:35 PM.
Old January 11th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Received 159 Likes on 157 Posts

Your dealer parts department can tell you if there is a superseding part number for your water pump.
Old January 11th, 2016, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10yrs is the magic number for most parts, after that its hit or miss if they are produced OEM. I'm sure you can still get a waterpump and as tech2 said the reason theres no interval is because its not driven by the timing belt.
Old January 12th, 2016, 6:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
...because on any interference timing belt system; if the w/p or any idler or tensioner fails the engine is written off...and you won't get a warning...snap...new engine.

if the water pump fails on the gm the valves don't crash into the pistons...the temp warning light comes on, the overheat failsafe programming initiates and "hopefully" you pull over and shut off the engine....the engine survives.

I find it hard to believe gm does not sell a wp for this engine.

my 2000 sierra is on it original water pump and I have 359 000 kilometers. Why replace it, it still works?
Thanks tech2! I learned something new. I wasn't looking to replace it, I was just bored at work and curious how much one would be. lol! I haven't checked any other reputable gm parts sites, I usually just use gmpartsdirect. They have good prices, but the shipping kills the deal most of the time for me.

Originally Posted by 73shark
Your dealer parts department can tell you if there is a superseding part number for your water pump.
Thanks shark!

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
10yrs is the magic number for most parts, after that its hit or miss if they are produced OEM. I'm sure you can still get a waterpump and as tech2 said the reason theres no interval is because its not driven by the timing belt.
Thanks cleveland! They still seem to be available from rockauto and ebay. And on rockauto I saw another part number that gmpartsdirect will still pull up and says it can be purchased, 19208815.