Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe PPV died - doors made clicking sound...

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2012, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe PPV died - doors made clicking sound...

I have a 2007 Tahoe PPV with 114k on it. I shut the car off for less than five minutes the other day and went to start it back up, and it would do absolutely nothing at all, I mean NOTHING worked. A couple of minutes later I tried again and everything was back to normal. Now today, I parked in the driveway, went to open the back hatch and it wouldn't work. I got back in the front and again, nothing at all worked. Turned the key to the off position, and the doors started making a clicking noise, the sound was coming from where the PW/PL switches are located. Turned the key to the on position, the sound stopped, but the car was still absolutely dead. I disconnected both battery cables for a couple of minutes, then tried again, and everything works as it should. Any ideas what might be causing this issue?

Thanks,
Rob
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

I suspect you may have resolved it with the battery connections...
check ground cable to the frame and body as well... replace if corroded..
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

I hadn't had a chance to check the wires yet, but maybe this afternoon.

Anyway, yesterday and today when I would get in and start the car, the clock would be at 12 as if it had lost power, but the radio presets are all still there.

Just went to leave church, hit the FOB unlock button and got nothing at all. So, I unlocked it manually, and I could hear the same clicking sounds as before coming from the PD/PW switches. Once again, I disconnected the battery completely and everything is fine. This doesn't sound like a ground problem to me. If it were just a bad connection, I would still get some kind of power.

Rob
Old April 29th, 2012, 1:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Check the battery cables at both ends. have they previously been corroded? A bad connection will kill everything.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> RMB 97 TAHOE PPV,

This may be a lock actuator issue. Consider having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 30th, 2012, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

How would a bad lock actuator cause a complete loss of power?

Thanks,
Rob
Old May 2nd, 2012, 9:16 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

My 2007 did this twice about a year apart. Never figured it out.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Did you ever figure out the issue? My wife's car is doing this now. I've disconnected the battery but that doesn't help!
Old January 11th, 2013, 6:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

to the OP. the fact that everything resets with a battery disconnect leads me to believe a bad module. When a module goes down, communication codes will be set. Have a shop check for communication codes or U codes in all modules.

tahoeman...your wife's car is a ??? Can you be specific on the symptoms.

Last edited by tech2; January 11th, 2013 at 6:33 AM.
Old January 11th, 2013, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

No, I never did figure out what the issue is, and yes, it still does it randomly. I've been hesitant to take it anywhere, because I've read of others with the same issue where the repair shop said it was one thing, and it didn't fix the problem, and I cant afford to pay for repairs that dont fix the problem. Mine always corrects itself when I disconnect/reconnect the battery, but sometimes I have to leave it disconnected for up to 10 minutes. The last time my car did this was probably 3 months ago, but when it does happen, it happens a lot. One time I was on the freeway and the locks started going up and down and the gauges went haywire, and it lasted for literally a couple of minutes. It's very irritating.

Rob

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe PPV died - doors made clicking sound...