Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe, replacing driver's side valve cover

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2013 | 8:13 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Are you sure you're not looking at the air conditioning condenser?
LOL, I'm not even sure. I'm really confused right now. I was sent some part diagrams from someone at GMPartsdirect and and their diagram matches the lines in my pictures I posted as parts that deal with the transmission. I will have to take a closer look and I"ll post up the parts diagram that I was sent.

Originally Posted by in2pro
Typerod I feel your pain, I have the same problem with vertigo something I just discovered earlier the year working on wife's minivan exhaust...
As shark pointed out, there are layers of radiators... The one on the engine side is the engine cooling system radiator, the one you see from the outside is the AC condenser..and in my case the smaller one in front of the condenser is the auxiliary transmission cooler that ties into the engine radiator...
Yes, having vertigo is terrible. I waswatching "end of watch" last night, and if you have not seen that movie, they have parts of it that are shown thru a video camera, so its very shakey, I had to stop watching right away, or else I would've been laying down dizzy, ready to call Earl. lol.

Yes, I saw the layers yesterday when I went double check the parts diagram sent to me against the parts that I thought I needed to replace. So I saw the engine radiator, then I saw what I know now as the A/C condenser (thanks to you and shark, lol), and then to the right I saw the power steering fluid cooler, which is off to the driver's side.

Let me post the parts diagram when I get home from work today and I'll take a better look now that you and shark have pointed me in the correct direction. Thanks to both of you!

UPDATE: I've attached the parts diagram, and In2pro, it looks to be the same diagram you have in your tranx aux cooler write up. I knew something wasn't right, and now maybe you can see why I thought I had a different trans cooler than you. So the part I think is leaking is part callout number 8. Which seem to connect to what I originally called the trans cooler but now know it as the a/c condenser? but if you follow part number 8 to its rear connection it goes to the transmission?!

So something isn't right here, do I have a trans cooler or not? LOL! But I def. do not have the aux trans cooler you have in2pro. So can the a/c condenser have double duty as a trans cooler as well? I'm so confused as this point, I'm glad I didnt order any parts yet! lol!

UPDATE 2: My wife just dropped off my lunch so I asked her to pop the hood and took a careful look, and it is part number 8, which connects to the engine radiator right above the lower engine coolant hose. Now I'm not sure if there a seperate cooler that I can not see due to the plastic covers on top of the radiator. But I'm positive that part number 8 is what I'm seeing in my vehicle.

UPDATE 3: I was looking around after a google search, and it seems that it is possible the engine radiator pulls double duty and has an internal trans cooler. This makes the most sense as to what the diagram is showing and how my Tahoe matches the diagram.

UPDATE 4: I'm an idiot, I totally overlooked your post, in2pro, on the other thread about trans cooler. You plainly stated that the right side of the radiator has the trans cooler. lol. Adult ADHD sucks so bad, lol
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Tahoe, replacing driver's side valve cover-1.jpg  

Last edited by Typerod; December 22nd, 2013 at 11:36 AM.