Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe wheel alignment question

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2016, 3:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe wheel alignment question

So I will be putting some new wheels and tires on my 07 Tahoe soon. Then I will get it aligned, needs an alignment badly. The last time it was aligned a few years ago, I noticed the front right wheel seemed to be sticking out much further than the front left wheel. If I remember, my right front at the time of the last alignment had a very negative camber. So after that alignment is when I noticed the front right wheel was sticking out further. Is there an adjustment to make the wheel stick out further? or is what I'm seeing just a more positive camber adjustment and the wheel has not moved outwards (like a wheel spacer had been added) at all?

If there is an adjustment to make the wheel jut out further, should I ask that it be reset before the alignment is done?

Thanks in advance!
Old February 12th, 2016, 7:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

no
the front suspension has moveable upper control arm eccentric bolts that move the uca in or out to adjust caster and camber.

the lower control arm is fixed/ not adjustable

you need a 2 wheel thrust alignment performed. make sure they provide a printout of the pre and post settings.

give them a good explanation why you want an alignment
ie steering wheel off-centre, leads or pulls, irregular tire wear, suspension parts replaced.
bring the vehicle in loaded as it would be for its normal use.

the labour time is 1.5hrs which includes test drive, pre-alignment suspension check, setting tire pressures, measuring and setting ride height, frame angle if required and performing the alignment adjustments.
Old February 13th, 2016, 3:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks tech2! I would like all 4 wheels aligned, how should I word my request? I'd like a 4 wheel alignment, and do 2 wheel thrust alignment on the front?
Old February 13th, 2016, 9:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can't do a 4 wheel, the rear isn't adjustable
Old February 14th, 2016, 1:13 AM
Super Moderator

a 2 wheel alignment assumes the geometric thrust angle is 0*. this can cause an off-center steering wheel if the true thrust angle is not 0*

a 2 wheel thrust alignment is done just the same as a 4 wheel alignment in that the rear heads are mounted and compensated to provide a true thrust angle measurement With this data, the front toe setting can be set correctly, compensating for the rear thrust angle.

Your getting a 4wd alignment but the labour time is less, as previously mentioned, as no adjustments can be made on a solid rear axle.

tell them you do not want a 2 wheel alignment but rather a 2 wheel thrust alignment or 4 wheel alignment as you want to view the rear wheel alignment angles. You want the front settings done based on true rear thrust measurements.
if the final printout shows no rear wheel data...you know they only did a 2 wheel alignment

Last edited by tech2; February 14th, 2016 at 1:22 AM.
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
you can't do a 4 wheel, the rear isn't adjustable
Originally Posted by tech2
a 2 wheel alignment assumes the geometric thrust angle is 0*. this can cause an off-center steering wheel if the true thrust angle is not 0*

a 2 wheel thrust alignment is done just the same as a 4 wheel alignment in that the rear heads are mounted and compensated to provide a true thrust angle measurement With this data, the front toe setting can be set correctly, compensating for the rear thrust angle.

Your getting a 4wd alignment but the labour time is less, as previously mentioned, as no adjustments can be made on a solid rear axle.

tell them you do not want a 2 wheel alignment but rather a 2 wheel thrust alignment or 4 wheel alignment as you want to view the rear wheel alignment angles. You want the front settings done based on true rear thrust measurements.
if the final printout shows no rear wheel data...you know they only did a 2 wheel alignment
Thanks cleveland and tech 2! All this time I never knew there was a diffence. lol. I may still not have a good grasp of the subject matter, when you guys say the rear isn't adjustable, you're NOT talking about camber, caster, and toe, correct?
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

yes we are.

only independent rear suspension have adjustable alignment angles. Camber and toe are the only adjustment for the rear independent suspension systems.

Solid rear axles are fixed and have no adjustment.
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:04 PM
CF Senior Member

so if our tahoes/suburbans are solid fixed axles in the rear and have no adjustment for camber, toe, caster in the rear, then is it possible for the camber, caster, or toe to be out of spec in the rear for any reason?

if so, then the only solution is to compensate for that by the front end thrust alignment?

sorry for the multiple questions, i really want to learn and understand this, but im slow, lol!
Old February 14th, 2016, 1:35 PM
Super Moderator

for most trucks...the manufacturer lists no alignment spec's for the rear axle. If something from the rear end is causing tire wear or tracking problems ....usually, the axle or axle tube is bent or located incorrectly. Part replacement is the only fix. This is a rare condition and would take a hard direct hit for this to occur. the truck would probably be a write off. Axle tube and axles are strong and other parts would crush before the axle tube.

the thrust angle can be out, Generally, anything over 0.4* is excessive. Adding blocks to the rear leaf springs can put it out slightly sometimes....and that is why a thrust angle is important. It will align the front to match the rear thrust angle.

there is no caster adjustment for the rear on any vehicle. On the front, caster can only be indirectly calculated by measuring camber change as he steering is sweep through a 10 degree sweep right to left and then left to right. Since you can't steer the rear tires...you can' measure it and its a non factor.

Last edited by tech2; February 14th, 2016 at 1:46 PM.
Old February 14th, 2016, 1:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only way anything on the rear would be out is if it was damaged or bent, the thrust alignment will only compensate to a certain extent so if there was damage on the rear axle in most cases it would still need fixed before you could do a proper adjustment on the front. I personally have never done just a front/2 wheel since its basically a waste- just like the "toe and go" believers. In my opinion if that's all you're going to do then don't even bother.

Contrary to the publics belief there is a lot more to a proper alignment then just matching the numbers up on screen so having a lot of questions is normal for someone actually trying to understand it instead of just rolling with it.