Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 burb ltz rough idle

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 burb ltz rough idle

I have a 2008 Suburban ltz . Bought new , has 35000 miles. When idling at a stop in gear it idles rough and some times sounds like it is missing. I have brought it in twice under warranty. The first place where I bought it from Bigelow Chevy in Ohio said it is normal for that year. They have since lost there dealership. The second time I brought it to Serpintini in Strongsville Ohio . I was told it needed fuel injectors check and cleaned. I said ok under warranty. They said no this is wear and tare. I have never had my other Burbs act this way. This dealer ship is very fast talking and tricky. Sad to say I will not buy any more Burbs , unless they change their current old building ideas, the same old way let the windows and doors fail after warranty and not replace them , or make a better product.. I have owned 6 suburbans bought all brand new 1995, 2-1999's, 2003 and 2008, 2010 GMC Yukon xl.You think that spending 40 to 60,000.00 should get you quality . Come on Government motors back up what you build . Bite the bullet and give customer satisfaction. You went belly up once let it not happen again. Or do you think we the people will bail you out again. Fix it or nix it.
Old June 29th, 2011, 8:51 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry to hear that your ride is giving you such grief...
Have you tried adding a couple of bottle of fuel additive/injector cleaner like Techron to the tank?
Also it might be worth trying to purchase fuel from a different vendor...
Shell, Chevron, Phillips are considered the preferred top tier fuel providers by GM and other auto manufactures...
If the dealer has not already checked the fuel pressure it might be worth checking to ensure its not a fuel delivery issue..
Running pressure should be 55-65psi steady and engine off the pressure should hold and not drop right away...
(personally I think GM should have been allowed to fail, and unfortunately if they did it again we would have zero to nil say it weather or not they get another bail out, my 2¢ )
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a rough idle could be a very easy fix especially for a newer vehicle - like pro said get some fuel additive and run high quality fuel through it (Shell, Chevron, etc.) I have always used Seafoam in the fuel tank - put 2 full cans in the tank and run it pretty low to make sure you get it all through.
if you only put in Wal Mart gas or other 'cheap" stuff you run the risk of some issues. but even if you only use that gas you can simply throw in the fuel additive every 5000 miles or so and you should not ever have an issue.
and until GM gets rid of the union it will never be as competitive as it could be - union costs have to be factored in to the vehicle price so if you take 2 $40k vehicles 1 with union labor and 1 w/o that 1 w/o will be able to build a better quality vehicle for the same price and/or pocket more of the profits and not go bankrupt!
this is 2011 not 1920 - unions need to be OUT
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes I agree running a bottle or can of cleaner regularly is a easy preventive. I get Techron by the 4 bottle case at Sams and it will last me through a year. Chevron already has Techron added to the fuel, this is also why they are a few pennies more then the Exxon down the street. Exxon by the way is not on the top teir list....
Old June 29th, 2011, 2:48 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

arktrans,

I am sorry to hear about these issues. Are you still experiencing the rough idle with your Suburban? I also saw your post about window motors and power door locks. Are you currently experiencing issues with those?

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 29th, 2011, 9:50 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Also make sure all of the plug wires are seated good. Had one come off on my 2007. Symptom was rough idle.
Old July 13th, 2011, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

I just got my 08' Burb, and we just LOVE IT!!!! Wanted one for a longtime, but needed a mini van while my 2 kids were very young. Now, its all Burb for me! Mine was a 3 year personal lease, and runs great with 42k on it. Had to replace 2 tension pulleys and 2 belts due to chirping noise from 1 pulley.

Not having any issues with rough idle, but I will now start using a fuel additive after reading these posts! Thank for the tips on keeping this engine running at top performance.
Old March 14th, 2012, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Did you find any solution
To the rough idle? Thanx dale
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Do the Throttle body injectors need cleaning?
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
Do the Throttle body injectors need cleaning?
Haven't had TBI for years.

Quick Reply: 2008 burb ltz rough idle