Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Chevy Tahoe Battery or Starter Problem..

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2012, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Chevy Tahoe Battery or Starter Problem..

Hi Everyone. New to the forum. I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe with about 42,000 miles.

The past few months or so, my battery has been dying when my wife has accidently left one of the inside lights on overnight or if she has been running the dvd player for about a half hour while the engine is off. (She'll do this while she's feeding the kids when we stop on a long trip.) Everytime I would jump start it and it would be fine after that. The other day the car would not start again, but this time no lights were left on. I took out the battery and got it checked. The result was that it needed to be charged but it was still a good battery. It ran for about a day after getting it charged and then it would not start again when I went to town and parked it for about an hour and half. When I turned the key, it would click, click, and the radio and lights would automatically turn on, but the car would not start. After waiting for 20 minutes, I turned the key and it barely started without jumping it. So after parking it overnight in the garage, it would not start again in the morning. The locks, radio, and lights work, just will not start. I do have a warranty, but I thought I would try to find out before I take it to the dealer and get reemed.

Could it be the starter or loose wire? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 3:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is it the original battery? If so, go get a new one.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for responding Kevin.
Yes it's the original battery. I got it tested from 2 places and both said it was a good battery. Do you think it is time for a new battery and not something else? I've had the vehicle for 3 1/2 years.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 4:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY476
Thanks for responding Kevin.
Yes it's the original battery. I got it tested from 2 places and both said it was a good battery. Do you think it is time for a new battery and not something else? I've had the vehicle for 3 1/2 years.
Buy a battery.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 5:16 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

GARY476 Welcome to the fourm

The new body style has a lot of modules that stay powered up for some time even when the vehicle is off... the DVD play can weaken the battery pretty quickly.... I have an 07 and am on my 3 battery...
I now keep my camper battery in the aux tray as a back up, it charges and provides aux power to the vehicle except for starting....
Old October 3rd, 2012, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

I had to replace the battery in my 07 2 years ago. Also tested good at the parts store.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 9:27 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As all have said replace the battery
Old October 4th, 2012, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll try a new battery. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

Location: Physically in Norhtern VA, my heart is in SW Virginia.

Gary,
I suspect your concern will return. When you replaced your battery you may have temporarly afected the issue. GM side post have a very common problem, the two wires come together in the red rubber cover at the cable end. Most people take them off and clean them and reinstall with the same results. Cut the cover off and separate the two and clean out all the white corrosion powder you will find. Use bakeing soda and water. Then get a longer side post bolt from your local auto parts store. Put a crown washer between the two cables and one between the cables and the battery mating surface. Keep in mind the cable powering all the lights and accessories will provide the power no problem. The starter draws a lot more amps and that will not carry the full amps needed thru the corroded cables. 99% of people and way to many techs do not see the corrosion between the cables as it is hidden by the un-needed red cover. If someone needs a red cover to find the positive terminal they should not be under the hood for their own safety. Keep the old battery, it may have age on it however it may come in handy as I suspect it is not dead.
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Location: Physically in Norhtern VA, my heart is in SW Virginia.

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
As all have said replace the battery
MDTAHOE, Great show even for gear heads. I loved to listen to Pat's radio call in shows. It was a game show to me, see if I could come up with the same answer before Pat. I dont hear his show anymore? Is he still doing them? I am in Northern VA.

Quick Reply: 2008 Chevy Tahoe Battery or Starter Problem..