Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Headliner Noise Found!

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2008, 6:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Headliner Noise Found!

I thought that I should share the results of long and winding path that I took to solve a weird headliner noise problem in my 2008 Tahoe.

When rolling down the highway at high speed I would sometimes hear a noise that sounded like gravel rattling in the area of the headliner where it meets the windshield. It would come and go with no apparent pattern. The dealer had no clue what the issue was nor did I. I mentioned this to a buddy with a Tahoe and he asked me if I had a bugscreen, which I do. He suggested that I take it off and see if the problem went away. Much to my surprise it solved the problem! I have had the bugscreen on since the first day that I purchased the car.

If you look at the top seal of the windshield on the 08 Tahoe you will see that GM has changed the sealing structure from previous models. Now there is actually a gap at the top of the window. I suspect that the air that is diverted by the bugshield is forced to the area of the top of the windshield and driven into that opening. Given the force of the air at highway speeds, enough air can get through the seal and under the headliner. I think even a minute amount of air will cause a problem. It could also be the seal itself is rattling and it just sounds like the headliner but I doubt it.

I reinstalled the bug shield and filled the windshieldseal openingwith black caulk. That solved the problem....the noise is gone.

I would be curious if anyone else has experienced this problem.
Old August 19th, 2008, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Headliner Noise Found!

interesting... did you ever have any water issues? I imagine rain would do the same thing at hwy speeds.
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Headliner Noise Found!

Im sayin'...that is something I think I would have taken up with the dealer, that is a defect... I agree its okay to fix somethings rather then run back to the dealer for half the daybut integrity wise you want that recorded so that if any other issues arise you CYA.
just my 2 bits