Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban 5.3 V-8 struggling to accelerate.

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2014, 7:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban 5.3 V-8 struggling to accelerate.

I recently had to replace a cam sensor and have not been able to remove the code from the PCM history. During the replacement, the positive battery cable was removed to prevent any chance of turning the engine over. When the new sensor was in place and engine started up, the SES light did not come on. However, after turning the engine back off and restarting it, the SES light came back on and OnStar informed me that a PA 0016 code is what they read. I am assuming the code is set in the computers history and has to be removed with a diagnostic scanner. With that said, I am curious if the code not being removed from the computer history would cause either of the following symptoms. The first being that the engine no longer activates the Active Fuel Management in that it stays in V-8 mode at all times. Symptom #2 happened within putting 100 miles on the engine after the cam sensor change. The symptom is the engine acts as if it is starving for gas or suffocating from not getting a good air flow. When I accelerate, the engine will hesitate and bog down but still run smoothly. Almost as if there is a clogged gas filter or even worse a plugged catalytic convertor.

Before I attack either one of those possibilities, I would like to know if the cam sensor not functioning properly code would cause such symptoms. Really hate to put time and effort into correcting something like a gas filter or CC when all it may be is the history code that needs to be cleared out.

Anyone with information on this or has experienced the same I would appreciate a answer back on this thread.

Thanks