S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Bogs down when trying to accelerate

Old December 14th, 2008, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bogs down when trying to accelerate

I started having a problem with my S10 (2001 2wd 2.2). It seems to have very little power I limped it home at forty but it bogs down whenever you step hard on the gas. It was able to poorly manage at low rpm. (enough to get me home) but if the accelerator is over half throttle it makes a moaning bog noise while the motor bogs down to near idle level. This is the same whether in drive or neutral.

I was thinking maybe a catalytic converter prob but does anyone know if this fits the symptoms of an EGR malfunction? Or any other tips as to the diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
farmerk833@gmail.com (April 19th, 2022)
Old December 16th, 2008, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bogs down when trying to accelerate

It could be a number of things,Is your check engine light on?How is your air filter?Did you just fill up the gas tank(water)?Try the simple fixes first like gasline antifreeze.
Old December 16th, 2008, 7:29 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When was the last time your fuel filter was repalced? It does not fit the desription of a EGR problem. Could be the converter though however I have seen many more partilly blocked fuel filters than converter on chevy trucks.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Well I fixed the truck yesterday. Hacked off the catalytic converter and she opened right up... Luckily it was the first thing I tried tweeking.
Old December 17th, 2008, 7:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll need to put on back in its place to pass inspection, just to make sure you know...
Old January 7th, 2016, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Bogging 2000 s10 2.2

I have a 2000 s10 Boggs down if accelerated.also idles rough smells like its flooding out. I got a code for purge valve and a code for high voltage to coolant temp sensor I replaced both parts trick still idles rough will not accelerate due to the bogging. Will idle but very rough still smells like it's flooding. I do believe my coil packs are firing .
Old August 24th, 2016, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 1982 with a 1.9 Isuzu engine that bogs down when I accelerate, I want to replace the EGR valve, or at least clean it, but it is nearly impossible to get to the bolts. Has anyone gotten to them without removing the carburetor and manifold? It is stupid to put an item that needs regular maintenance hidden like that.
Old February 5th, 2022, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default S10 problem

Originally Posted by LuckyinKentucky
I started having a problem with my S10 (2001 2wd 2.2). It seems to have very little power I limped it home at forty but it bogs down whenever you step hard on the gas. It was able to poorly manage at low rpm. (enough to get me home) but if the accelerator is over half throttle it makes a moaning bog noise while the motor bogs down to near idle level. This is the same whether in drive or neutral.

I was thinking maybe a catalytic converter prob but does anyone know if this fits the symptoms of an EGR malfunction? Or any other tips as to the diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Chevy S10 1992 model and I try to accelerate and it just falls on its face and starts bogging and missing did anyone solve this problem starts and ideals perfect. I put new plugs a distributor cap on and no change.
Old February 10th, 2022, 5:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

very interesting post by OP who found that removing his clogged cat con cured his problem of bad acceleration and limp mode. I'm trying to find out if a clogged cat con which DOES NT throw a DTC for cat con problems is nevertheless so clogged up it would cause a DTC for random p300 misfire. a badly clogged cat con would affect the ability of the exhaust valves to push the exhaust out. that has to have some effect on the o 2 sensors which in turn would be sending weird signals to the e c u of how mush fuel to send to the inlectors. I just picked up scannerdanner's 'engine diagnostics' book to try to understand this stuff more. . .
Old March 10th, 2022, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

I had this issue once, it turned out to be the o-rings on the injectors in the throttle body. There was too much fuel being dumped that it choked the engine.