S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

92 S10 bogs down, poor acceleration after engine warms up

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2009, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 S10 bogs down, poor acceleration after engine warms up

I have an S10 92 2.8 5 speed, have owned it since new, have babied this thing in all aspects, have had no real problem until recently... At first I noticed that while driving and would be going up hill (not too steep) and be in 5th gear I felt the truck sort of jerk a little as if the engine had a miss and it would do this every 2-3 seconds or so and progressivly get worse until I peaked the hill and the engine was no longer under a load so to speak, then later on I also noticed I could make it do the same thing if I were going too slow for 5th gear (say 30 mph ) on level road if I just pushed down on the gas pedal, recently it has gotten worse...I take off from a full stop in 1st gear and it bogs, hesitates and feels like the engine is missing but once it is moving along it straightens right out then go to 2nd and give it a good push on the gas pedal it does the same thing and if I keep the gas pedal down it will reach a point where it actually begins to loose speed. Now the other day I also noticed that if I start it up and take off with the engine cold it will accelerate excellent with no problem at all until it warms up (say 3-4 minutes), and by the way it starts up right away and idles fine.
Any ideas on what may be going on?
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

i'm experiencing the opposite of your delayed poor acceleration. 1997 chevy s 10 115k miles upon start up after the vehicle has been sitting a few hrs. i experience uneven acceleration with a fixed foot position on the petals, Standard transmission, sometimes it stalls out in 1 or 2 gear. The problem persists for only about 45 seconds. After that point Take offs following are fine. Check engine light illuminated for about a month.,
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Prostockvega
I have an S10 92 2.8 5 speed, have owned it since new, have babied this thing in all aspects, have had no real problem until recently... At first I noticed that while driving and would be going up hill (not too steep) and be in 5th gear I felt the truck sort of jerk a little as if the engine had a miss and it would do this every 2-3 seconds or so and progressivly get worse until I peaked the hill and the engine was no longer under a load so to speak, then later on I also noticed I could make it do the same thing if I were going too slow for 5th gear (say 30 mph ) on level road if I just pushed down on the gas pedal, recently it has gotten worse...I take off from a full stop in 1st gear and it bogs, hesitates and feels like the engine is missing but once it is moving along it straightens right out then go to 2nd and give it a good push on the gas pedal it does the same thing and if I keep the gas pedal down it will reach a point where it actually begins to loose speed. Now the other day I also noticed that if I start it up and take off with the engine cold it will accelerate excellent with no problem at all until it warms up (say 3-4 minutes), and by the way it starts up right away and idles fine.
Any ideas on what may be going on?
I am having the same problem.Why hasnt anyone posted an answer?
Old August 17th, 2010, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default 92 S10 bogs down, poor acceleration after engine warms up (my solution)

Twitzle,

I ended up changing plug wires, cap, rotor, coil & plugs (I used the best AC plugs). After that it ran like new!
Then about 2 weeks later the truck died on me while driving (engine just shut off) and found it was the ignition module in the distributor (under the cap), once I replaced it all has been fine.
All parts were Delco, as I was instructed NOT to use any of the after market items.
What I found was the wires had cracks in the insulation, the tabs in the cap were badly corroded, as was the tab on the rotor, the plugs showed no signs of fouling but the electrodes were worn bad...all of these parts were only about a year and a half old and were the cheaper after market brands.
So my advice to you would be to do as I did by changing plug wires, cap, rotor, coil & plugs, (you might get by with not changing the coil but I did it just to be safe), as for the ignition module that is up to you but I think it may have went bad due to the problem I had before and it put a strain on it and of course later it died.
Make sure to use all Delco parts!
All I know is that it has been running fine since I changed all that I told you.
Good luck!!
Curt