Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Engine sounds rough, poor acceleration, poor gas mileage

Old April 6th, 2012, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine sounds rough, poor acceleration, poor gas mileage

Hi, I just purchased a Used 2011 Chevy Aveo 2LT with 14,450 miles on it. Its a nice car, but I'm not getting the expected gas mileage out of it. I'm only getting about 28 MPG on about %90 highway mileage. The engine sounds pretty rough at idle and theres a very noticeable hesitation when accelerating from a stop. Its also pretty loud coming from the engine bay while sitting in the car. Also, when twisting the key to start the car the starter runs for what sounds like several seconds before the engine starts. My question is, I believe that I should still have the factory warranty on the car right? Its only got 14,450 miles on it. Can I just take this into a chevy dealership and say "please look at this car"? And is that what I should ask?
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Shinare,

The EPA mpg for the Chevrolet Aveo is:

Manual: 27 city / 30 combined / 35 highway
Automatic: 25 city / 28 combined / 34 highway

Chevrolet backs your new vehicle with its no-deductible, Bumper-to-Bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The entire vehicle is warranted for repairs, including parts and labor, to correct problems in materials or workmanship, for three years or 36,000 miles*, whichever comes first (except normal maintenance). The warranty covers towing to the nearest Chevrolet dealership, and there is no deductible for warranty repairs during the warranty period. The warranty transfers automatically with vehicle ownership during the warranty period.

*Whichever comes first. See dealer for details.

Based on the year and mileage of the vehicle, it should still be covered under the Bumper-to-Bumper warranty, however, this is assuming that the vehicle was purchased from a Certified lot; title is not branded, etc.

I encourage you to make an appointment with your local Chevrolet dealership. They will be able offer you additional information after a physical inspection of the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 5th, 2021, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question.... My 2011 Aveo5 LT is kicking multiple codes, P0700, P0455, P0101, P0073, P0073-74, U0001, U0100.... Will start and drive but is very slugish unless you push the accelerator to the floor. cat temp is about 900... obd2 scanner keeps saying it lost communication. At first replaced the maf due to a code but now i am lost. please help...
Old February 13th, 2021, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rough starts, hesitation and poor acceleration are all common symptoms of a bad spark plug. ... If you notice a decrease in your vehicle's gas mileage and/or a drop in engine performance, it may mean that your spark plugs are worn or dirty.