Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban AC leaking water inside cab

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2013, 1:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban AC leaking water inside cab

On a trip this past week my wife noticed on the passenger side as she stretched her feet under the dash it was dripping water...seems like I have read that this is a AC drain that is clogged...How do I go about finding the clog and clearing it?
Old August 18th, 2013, 2:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given you're 4x4, you may have enough room to slip under your ride without a lift ? Getting it up on a Lift is better though.

Usually toward the passenger's side, and right as the Firewall drops down and turns under the chassis, you should see a open ended rubber tube just sticking out of the Firewall. Maybe it's a little higher up given your specific model ?

Use a "gentle" blast of Air up into the tube (5-10 psi) but don't thrust the tip of the Air Hose up and seal it against the tube. Just real gentle flow ! To much and you might blow the other end of the Tube off of the drain pan.
So be careful !

IF you've hit the right tube, you should see an immediate discharge of water out of it, assuming that you've run your A/C recently.

Given that you had to do this at all, and depending on why it's blocked (gunk or insulation) you may have to repeat this occasionally.
Old August 18th, 2013, 2:58 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

While I haven't seen the one on current models, the rubber tube used to be pinched shut to prevent vermin, etc from entering. Rather than using compressed air, I've had good luck poking a plastic soda straw into the drain tube. It can't damage anything and you have instant feedback cuz the water will flow thru the straw if the drain is clogged.