Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban LT Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2018, 8:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban LT Head Gasket

My 2008 Suburban has 188k on it. Owned since new and have followed the maintenance to the T. I have oil consumption issues like every other 5.3 out there with miles on it.
Recently have had a slight exhaust, anti freeze odor at start up but it goes away after it warms up. No anti freeze loss or cloudy oil, no external leaks.
Heat works but not overly. Cabin seems to cool down even with heat set high. So I changed the coolant, and t-stat. No change. Figured heater core might be clogged. Flushed the system and, no change to symptoms.
Slight bluish white puff at exhaust at start up but no big deal with the miles on it.

So I took it to my local shop and they think the head gasket might be going - not right away but not to far down the road. The car is perfect otherwise and I am keeping it.
Does it make sense to do a head gasket job, or knowing that this motor is burning oil, just to get a new crate motor installed - with a new heater core - delete the AFM and move on.
Old December 22nd, 2018, 7:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The oil consumption could be valve stem related, if you're pulling the heads off why not consider replacing the oil seals.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 2:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
The oil consumption could be valve stem related, if you're pulling the heads off why not consider replacing the oil seals.
Thats SOP anytime you pull the heads. No way I'd just pull the heads off, replace the head gaskets, and put the old non-reconditioned heads back on.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 3:27 PM
CF Active Member

Will replace the gaskets and check the valve too while the heads are off.

Concerned about the rings with the age age miles on it too.
Might make sense to just drop a crate engine in it and delete the afm
thoughts on that or just do the heads?
Old December 23rd, 2018, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

What does the compression look like? If you have been diligent about maintenance the rings are probably okay, its my opinion that the valve stem seals are hardened and likely cracked.
Are you doing the work, or paying someone, that cost will need to be factored in, and how long do you plan on keeping it...
Old December 24th, 2018, 7:49 AM
CF Active Member

Have yet to do a comp test but that is part of my test parameter in deciding what to do. Local shop doing th work. Knowing the head gasket job is $$, just think since the labor hours are up there just for the top end, do I go all in now with the new engine and not worry about it. I am keeping the truck as it is perfect otherwise. All that can go wrong now is the transmission...and everything else.��
Either way, AFM is being taken out.
Old December 28th, 2018, 8:00 PM
CF Active Member

So the engine has been declared DOA. Still runs ok but burning oil excessively.
Going to do a replacement. But instead of going back with a 5.3, I am considering going to a 6.0.
Anyone do this upgrade who could give realistic feedback?